Single SSL on Mapped Domains in a WP Multisite Configuration

Is it possible to use the SSL certificate on the primary website in a WP Multisite configuation for mapped domains?

If so, how should this be set up?

• rmandmllc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks. I am gl;ad to hear that it might work :slight_smile: Beyond the wildcard...

How should this be set up? Are there other hosting considerations? Will the WPMU Dev Mapping Plugin handle this? Is the wildcard the only issue that differs from a normal WordPress situation?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings rmandmllc,

Thank you for the great question.

You can indeed use an SSL certificate on the main site and sub directory install and if using a Wild Card SSL certificate you can use it on sub domains as well.

Where Domain Mapping comes into play here I have no idea but probably you want to have SSL certificates for Mapped Domains and that will not work, not because of WordPress or Domain Mapping but because of the way that SSL Certificates are tied to a certain IP and domain name.

Someday in the future this may be doable when SNI becomes commonplace, but for now most hosts do not support SNI, I would say all but that is certainly not the case but there are none that I know of to date.

I have thought of a way I might be able to support SNI with our hosting, though I have the idea and vision of how it may work, I have not tried to implement it to date.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• rmandmllc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for your help guys. It is very much appreciated. From your answers I gather that it is possible to have multiple SSL protected IPs on a WP Multisite but it requires very specific hosting configurations. That is good to know :slight_smile:

My goal is to protect many sub sites in a WP Multisite network with a single SLL cert and IP. So perhaps a more fundamental question is in order:

If a single SSL certificate with multiple mapped domains on a single IP was technically feasible when established on a WP Multisite configuration, then could each sub site be secure and protected, especially from other sub sites within the same network?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings rmandmllc,

A single SSL certificate on a single IP will work for the main domain and the sub sites and if the sub sites are sub domains then a wild card SSL certificate is what will be needed.

In the link Tim mentioned above confirmed my inclination that without a an IP for each SSL certificate it will not work:

your hosting is correct and you will need to buy another SSL for that domain and also an additional dedicated IP to assign to that domain.

Yes the sub sites are secure from each other so to speak.

Please note that if they ever get it together and implement SNI all this would be much easier and ease the pressure on IP V4 IP's which are now at a premium.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.