single to multi site move using snapshot

I read this post on WPMU https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-migrate-a-single-wordpress-site-to-a-multisite-network-using-snapshot where Patrick said it was a good solution to use to migrate sites into multisite.

I just took a snapshot of mybottomline.com, move the file to AWS and the on the AWS instance restored. The restoration went to mbl.artilent.net

The restore version and the original version look NOTHING alike and when I attempt to navigate to the admin panel of the child site in multisite i am redirected to the original site.

These two should be identical mybottomline.com and mbl.artilent.com but it appears they are not by a long shot in my book.

What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
Joe

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Joe!

What sort of differences do you see between the two sites? Are the differences related to how your content is displayed, or is functionality missing?

Some simple things that may make a huge difference:
    1. Make sure the site where you restored your snapshot has the same theme active as your previous site did.
    2. If your menu looks odd, or is showing every page on your site, try going to Appearances > Menus, and make sure you've got your menus assigned to the right place. Some themes have multiple menu locations, so use the dropdown menu to check that each location has a menu assigned.
    3. Your widgets may need to be re-added, those may have returned to the default set. Go to Appearances > Widgets, and you should see add anything that's missing.

If you're seeing other issues, let us know.

• joe romello

Hi Michelle,
    When I did the snapshot I was under the impression that the entire site would be snapped. I precluded wp-config and .htaccess since the snap was done in a single instance and I was restoring into a multi instance.
    The only thing I did prior to the restore was create the site in the multi instance. The only plugin in the Multi instance was snapshot.
    The multi site had the default 2015 theme.

Docs say Snapshot brings over everything.

Appearance wise the sites are not even close to looking the same. Images on the pages are broken, the widgets are partially restored, wrong layout, ...

I cannot get into the dashboard of the restored site since when I select it from My Sites I get redirected to the admin panel of the source site. If I go to mbl.artilent.com/wp-admin I am redirected to the old site admin panel login screen.

When I attempt to use search or navigate the links are to the source site, they have not been changed.
    So I would say ALL functionality is broken with the restore.
    Only thing I can think of is blowing away the multi child and then recreating the site and then trying a different plugin.
    What do you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Joe

• joe romello

Hi Michelle,
    I have an update on this and also some additional questions.

I found in the database the source IP which for some reason was not being overridden by wp-config on the target. Once I changed those then the site showed properly.

Except that now, every post and page that has an image, featured and/or embedded in a post or page, the image URL does NOT have the "sites/xx/" construct inserted into the URLs. ALL of them still have the source construct so all posts and page images throw 500 errors.

I know that when I did the import I found and inserted the child site (Snapshot recognized the multisite), so does the restore not adjust URLs?

IF this is the case, then what are path forward options?
    Thanks,
    Joe

• joe romello

Hello,
    Just wondering if there is any insight that can be provided regarding getting single sites imported into multisite?
    Export/Import doesn't work for me unless the sites are small (<10 post and <10 pages). I have broken the xml files into pieces of 2 MB or less but at the end of the sequence of 15 files, nothing appears to have happened with the posts, pages and/or image.s
    Have tried Snapshot now on 2 different single sites and attempting to import into to different multisite installs. Same problem on completion. Net, net it doesn't appear to be making any changes to references within posts or pages.
    Help???

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your patience.

I tried to access your both sites mybottomline.com/ and mbl.artilent.com/ but due to some reason the site mbl.artilent.com/ is not accessible for me. It's just displaying the error message "This webpage is not available'

Would you mind if I logged in to your both sites and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

You can change the old URLs of the images and pages to the new URLs by using any of the following solutions.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/
    https://github.com/interconnectit/Search-Replace-DB

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• joe romello

Hi Vinod
    When we didn't hear back by 16 Feb we reverted to a backup and started anew with BackupBuddy.
    We will gladly revert and take a new Snapshot of MyBottomKine and do the restore in our multi site instance and then grant access.
    I need to know if Snapshot actually works in migrating single sites to Multisite. The WP Export/Import does not do it and that is WP. Can you tell me if Snapshot works in this manner?
    If so, we will redo what we did with Snapshot and then grant you access to both back ends.
    Thanks, eagerly await your reply
    Joe

• joe romello

Hi Vinod,
    So mybottomline.com and mbl.artilent.net are both enabled for Support Access.
    We reloaded multisite fresh and then imported the snapshot we made on mybottomline.com on 2/14. The snapshot was a complete snapshot of mybottomline and it was restored into mbl.artilent.net.

If you attempt to get into mbl.artilent.net/wp-admin you will be redirected and it will NOT be the multisite - this is a result of the snapshot restore. To get into the network admin use money.artilent.net as the URL.

The two sites do not look alike although themes, plugins, media, ... ALL files we copied. There are IPs in the db that were not converted - thus the reason you can't access the admin from the multisite subdomain into which we restored.

Please tell me that all is fine and we just didn't do the backup or the restore correctly - although there aren't really enough check boxes to mess it up I don't think, especially when we took the defaults. The only place where the restore gave us a warning was that the sites didn't match but we got the right URL setup and the restore was happy.

Thanks in advance for the support,
    Joe

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Joe,

Yes you can move your single site to multisite using snapshot.

The main thing is to ensure that the subsite where you want to restore the snapshot already exists in your network before importing & restoring it (Snapshot cannot create the site for you).

So, create the snapshot of your single site. Then create a new site in your multisite network. Import your snapshot into your multisite, and restore it to the new site you just created.

I logged in to your moved site using support staff access and found the siteurl and Home URL was not configured there properly because this sub site was not created correctly. I have configured it correctly and found it's working now.

Could you please check it?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• joe romello

Hi Vinod,
    Thank you I see the site .
    Can you be more specific as to how the subsite was not setup correctly. To my knowledge there is only one place to create the subsite in the Network admin. And there is a check box that says Update Home and Site URL. Where are the settings that we didn't configure properly?
    In addition, every URL on the pages and posts has not been adjusted to include /sites/5 in the references. Is this not done by Snapshot on restore? Is there another set of processes necessary to get the references to be correct when restored?
    Thanks again for the help,
    Joe

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Joe!

Let's ping @Vinod Dalvi here to see if he remembers specifics of what he saw in your site, but you can find the site URL and home URL by going to Sites > All Sites > [sub site] > Settings, at the top of the long list of individual settings you can enable for your subsite.

To resolve the last few URLs not showing properly, try resaving the permalinks on the subsite where you've restored the snapshot. (Go to Settings > Permalinks on your WordPress dashboard to find this.)

Thanks, hope this helps Joe!

• joe romello

Hi Michelle,
    Thanks for the response, so these are set in the admin panels for Multisite?
    For the migration from single to multisite:
    a) replicate ALL the settings from the single site in the multisite instance
    b) run the Snapshot on that single instance
    c) move the file to the multisite instance
    d) check one more time that settings are identical
    e) restore

And, when the restore is complete the URLs in the posts, pages, images, graphics, videos, etc. should ALL be changed to the multisite format of /sites/xx.

Is my understanding of the process correct? Are there ANY additional steps, plugins, scripts, ... that need to be run/executed/loaded/... to get a single site into a multisite?

Thanks for the help,
    Joe

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Joe!

Sorry for the delay here.

Yes, you'll find those settings in your Network Admin dashboard, under Sites > All Sites.

For the snapshot process, yes, you've got that essentially correct. Take a snapshot of the site you want to move into your network, create a new site in your network with Snapshot installed, restore the snapshot from the dashboard of the subsite. Snapshot should find and replace the instances of your old URL with the new one. No other plugins or scripts should be needed.

Thanks for your question!