Site 3 (authorpublish.org/) has an invalid meta value in upload_url_path. This may prevent access to

I am trying to install Network for Wordpress. And I get this message.

Site 3 (authorpublish.org/) has an invalid meta value in upload_url_path. This may prevent access to this site or disable some features.

Were on the master site do I find this?

Thanks
Ron

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ron,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question.

Can you double check your .htaccess and make sure it is exactly the code they give you during setup? You can see the code again here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration make sure you look at the right one 3.5+ and either subdomain or subfolder, whichever one you are :slight_smile:

You can see all your settings for your sites via My Sites > Network Admin > Sites - then choose the site you want to see. The URL path will be a little ways down and will likely be blank because the "Uploads Use Yearmonth Folders" should have a "1" in it meaning true. Default behaviour is to use the year month folders for uploads.

Hope this helps and make sure you double check the .htaccess - let us know if you still need further assistance here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• rmahon

Tyler, I did not find that information in the codex.

But the information in the admin section, is exactly the same in the file.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ron,

Hope you're doing well! Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm a little confused with the "site 3" error when you're trying to install the network in the first place. Do you already have it to the point where you can create sites? Is site 3 the only one having an issue right now? Just trying to get an idea of what lead up to this because it's an error that I have never run into myself.

Perhaps if you send in site/ftp access then I will be able to get a better idea of what exactly is going on here then I can provide more accurate solutions.

If you want to do that then you can send in that information privately via our contact form.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
      wp admin username
      wp admin password
      login url
      FTP (host/username/password)
      link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject ensure that it gets automatically assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

The reason for the FTP is in-case I need to look at the file structure or your wp-config.php file.

Look forward to your reply Ron!

Cheers,
      Tyler

PS. I am just heading to bed now, but I will be back on to follow up on this tomorrow :slight_smile:

• rmahon

Tyler I am not having any luck with attaching a file, so I am enclosing a PDF of what's on the screen away with highlighting color.

FTP: I’m on a new host that has very strict security in place. To get FTP to work I had to remove the FTP head of the no-name. [Removed for members security]

Or use file manager in control panel. One word of caution on some systems when you edit config files. It tries to make the first line a title. Putting anywhere from two tabs in front of it or to centering it.
    Make a copy, and when you’re editing it if you see spaces at the beginning, beginning of the first line just delete them. After you finish editing, there’s a button for viewing the file which does not alter the file. (that’s made me a little nuts at times)

How do I set up new domains as networks with a single WordPress install?
    Your webserver must direct requests for each domain you want to use to your WordPress install's filesystem location.
    Here's a quick overview:
    1. DNS should resolve each desired domain to your web server.
    2. Configure your web server to direct requests for each desired domain to the same site (e.g. via ServerAlias directives or Host Headers)
    What's with networks-mufunctions.php? Tip: You can use the New Network Preview feature to verify DNS and server configuration BEFORE creating your networks. Passed all the tests? You can check it yourself by pulling up the networks, and hit verify. Located in the network, admin menu under sites.

This file has fixes for unusual network topologies, like networks without a root site or those more than one subdirectory deep.
    The fix for networks with deep paths was graciously contributed by Spencer Bryant.
    For a long time I avoided bundling fixes like these, since I was committed to having this plugin run only when needed by the dashboard. This file does not rely on the rest of Networks for WordPress to function, so you are free to copy it to your mu-plugins folder and use it on its own.
    This seemed like a good compromise. If you have thoughts, let me know in the comments!
    If you are on WP 3.5 - 3.6.1 and want to use native file uploads, you must either:
    1. Activate the Networks plugin on all of your networks, OR
    2. Copy networks-muplugins.php into your mu-plugins folder
    If you do not do this, your uploaded files will end up in unexpected places. I don’t have a mu-plugins folder, I thought that was obsolete some time ago..
    This is not needed for WP 3.7+. I am using 3.9 more security, I was hacked on HostGator several times.
    CPanel login use [Removed for member's security]

this is not the first time I tried to install networks for WordPress. However this is the best and the furthest I ever got to it making sense.
    Check out http://webhostingvirtualdedicatedservers.com/networks-wordpress-ultimate-plugin/

Thanks
    Ron

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ron,

My apologies for the delay!

I just tried to log in with the FTP and cPanel you provided, without any luck. Do you mind sending those to me through our contact form? https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Make the subject line "Attn: Tyler Postle" to ensure it gets right to me :slight_smile:

Select "I have a different question" for your topic.

Include your FTP/cPanel/WordPress credentials.

Make sure you never post those kind of credentials in the forums here because it's a public forum that other users can see. When I received the email notification of your post above I made sure to remove your credentials ASAP. So, no worries there! I'm just getting back around to your thread in the feed now.

Once I receive that I will take a closer look at the backend. Have you made any further progress on this in the last few days? Let me know if you have :slight_smile: It could be useful for troubleshooting the issues.

All the best,
    Tyler

• rmahon

Tyler, mystery solved!
    When you go into the network dashboard, you will find a few options for each network. The all-important analysis button, next to that is an edit button. Which appears with three-drop downs the one that works for me anyway, it is “unknown.” This seems to be par for networks for WordPress, lots of unknowns. The other choices are 3.5, and PHP, I am using 3.9 so I tried PHP first.

I’ve heard about the benefits of this program for many people. Now I know all the disadvantages. The moment you’re on a VPS or a shared housing, they seem to not be important.

After a lot of experimenting, I have a lot of holes in the database where I had deleted other trials. While network for Windows recovered well from that, it produced a ton of errors. I did manage to find a database table and delete the duplicate entries and remove all the others. (Doesn’t like it when you create another network with the same name, as a deleted one.)

If anybody’s interested, I’ll be happy to expand on this conversation.

Tyler many thanks, for your efforts. You went way beyond the call of duty and I really appreciate

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.