Site breaks after activating privacy

Hello All,

After activating Multisite privacy in a Network and then at the site level selecting "Only registered users of this blogs can have access" and the visiting the site I am prompted to login (as expected) and I can log and get the home page however the site is broken. None of the site's links work, they all return:The requested URL /groups/ was not found on this server.

Ouch!

Setting privacy back to open does not fix the problem. This is not a production site so this is not the big a deal, but I would like to fine out why! and fix it.

I tested this on two site in two different networks, same result.

~eric

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

The way multisite works is htaccess controls everything with rewrite rules. When you add a caching program, it will change the rules by adding stuff to the htaccess. I'm not a pro here, but the possible issue I can envision is if you have multiple domains on separate networks with a single IP. The site may resolve on the home page of the root directory, but when you are looking for something other than that, the htaccess doesn't know how to write the proper rule for the page you are looking for.

• ericslangley
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I don't have a caching program installed and accessed the site(s) from multiple computers with both Chrome and IE, same result.

I even enabled Multisite privacy on a second installation of WP/BP Multinetwork and got the same result, broken pages.

Not sure what the issue is.

~eric

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Eric

Sorry you are having trouble with this.

Are you able to give us access to one of the two installations so we can check out what is happening? We'll need FTP and super admin access. Can you send the email to sue@edublogs.org if you are fine for us to log in and check.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• ericslangley

This is an update to my previous post...
    I even enabled Multisite privacy on a second installation of WP/BP Multinetwork and got the same result, broken pages.
    Update: This previous sentence is wrong. I was able to get it working WITHOU crashing WPMN/BPMN.

The difference between this second site and the first site is this: the first site is using BP Multi Network from Ron Rennick and the second site is using BP Multi Network (same exact name) from Brajesh Singh.

I messaged Brajesh earlier asking him what the difference is. They seem to do the same things though..

Not sure what the issue is with BP Multi Network from Ron Rennick.

Sue, taking a break for the night. I will pm you later.

~eric

• ericslangley

Sue,

I sent you the login info and some follow through emails about this ticket. Not sure if you received them;

A temporary error occurred while delivering to the following address(es):

<sue@edublogs.com>: 451 All MX servers are unavailable for domain edublogs.com

Eric

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Eric

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry but I haven't received them. The issue is the email address isn't correct. My email address is sue@edublogs.org (not .com).

Once I receive the information I'll get Moha (S H Mohanjith) to check it out for you. He's the plugin developer as well as our key developer on Edublogs (we work closely together each day).

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Eric

Thanks for letting us know. Moha did send a reply email to you as he needed some more information. Looks like you might not received it?

Here is what he asked:

Any idea why FTP doesn't work with FileZilla?

Can I please know what your server OS and the web server (Apache or IIS)?
    Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings eric,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• ericslangley

aecnu,

Below is the text from my last post. I turned the server back on. I had already submitted all of the login info.

~eric

Guys,
    I am going to shut this server down. If you can look at it sometime let me know and I will turn it back on. It would be nice to know why this got broken...
    ~eric

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Eric,

There were many valid questions asked in regards to figuring out what is going on there that have never been answered such as and most importantly:

What your server OS and the web server (Apache or IIS)?

The one about Any idea why FTP doesn't work with FileZilla?

And what kind of NOC/Datacenter is this server in that you are turning it on and off?

Was it off when our lead developer Moha tried to access it I am wondering too?

Please advise as the plot and mystery thickins concerning these reported issues.

Cheers, Joe

• ericslangley

aecnu,

There were many valid questions asked in regards to figuring out what is going on there that have never been answered (ESL:or asked) such as and most importantly:

What your server OS and the web server (Apache or IIS)?
    ESL: xAMP (Windows Server 2008)
    The one about Any idea why FTP doesn't work with FileZilla?
    That has been fixed (at least on my box), you have to set FileZilla to Active
    And what kind of NOC/Datacenter is this server in that you are turning it on and off?
    Amazon EC2
    Was it off when our lead developer Moha tried to access it I am wondering too?
    Probably not he did not contact me.

Please advise as the plot and mystery thickins concerning these reported issues.
    Cheers, Joe

However, I think at this point in time I will just drop it, even though it was not resolved. I have the site privacy working via another method on another site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.