Site Category Needs

Site Category Needs

#1 Breadcrumb not adding "Landing Page" location from child categories

#2 Breadcrumb remove "Category" just utilizing the category name would be better for SEO.

#3 Title remove "Category" just utilizing the category name would be better for SEO.

#4 Site not added to Parent category so when "Hide Empty Categories" you loose child categories as well.

Thank you!

• ronsmart
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Adding sites to parent categories should be optional maybe for some sites. Trying to come up with a reason why you wouldn't want to add to parent categories other than not being able to link to that page. Maybe allow or disallow category to have its own page/link etc would be a good work around and leave the option open to the site admin and or not allow sites and just show child categories optionally.

What are your thoughts?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ronsmart,

Doing to small work on the Site Categories code and wanted to address your items. Thanks for the list.

#1 & #2

We don't output breadcrumbs for the listing. Though I have seen some request for that. This is probably something from your theme.

#3 Title remove "Category"

Agreed, We are actually going to make this an option within the settings where the admin can control what prefix to the category title is used. Or blank.

#4 Site not added to Parent category so when "Hide Empty Categories" you loose child categories as well. Adding sites to parent categories should be optional maybe for some sites.

Actually the admin can control the option to allow site admins to use or not use the parent-cateogoes. There are specific use cases for NOT allowing admins to set the parent category. Think about maybe a restaurant listing where you as the system admin want the restaurant site admin to pick only child categories. Not being clear to you does not make it invalid.

• ronsmart

Sorry about the breadcrumbs not your deal as it's not your plugin I don't know what I was thinking.

#4 yes site admins can choose this and I understand. What I am asking for is to add the children automatically to a parent optionally and it would make most sense to do this in the parent category. Something like "add child blogs - Yes/No"

The problem that I was saying about when you "hide" empty categories is a major problem since the children are not added to the parent.

Having users add them selves to parents is redundant if you are creating nested categories.

Also you can not nest categories within categories. it won't go deeper than the parent and child within the "Listings"

Last thing I swear lol It would be nice if when you create a category it would create a page within wordpress kind of like the way you point to a page for listings but the actual page is created. This would also take care of the SEO issues and allow admins to create content for categories without any blogs in them yet.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ronsmart,

Just looking into this more deeply.

The problem that I was saying about when you "hide" empty categories is a major problem since the children are not added to the parent.

What is your display selection on 'Landing Page Categories Display Options' ? If you selected Grid or Accordion then yeah I see your point. We should include the counts of all children in the parent. Good catch will start working on this.

As for display if the grandchild categories any thoughts? When you select list output the list does contain all category terms in order. But again when selecting Grid or Accordion we only show the child categories.

I was thinking we just show a nested list of child > grandchild categories. For the Grid I'll do the same. Thoughts?

Also, need to consider the output for the sites themselves. So for example if you select a child category from the landing page which has grandchild categories. Does the site listing then show all or just sites at the child level?

• ronsmart

Not sure exactly what happened. The site wouldn't load if I went to any URL that site categories was tied in to, front end or back end. I zipped the plugin folder and deleted the unzipped folder to see if the plugin was causing the issues. Site was able to work again. I unpacked the folder and the same issue happened. I fell aspeel and just got back to it with out any problems. So your guess is as good as mine. I deleted the nested category.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ronsmart,

Not sure on your system. Testing on my own system this morning. Have many nested categories. Not really seeing an issue. The grandchildren is just not included in the output. This is due to the way the site categories are queried.

I'm willing to help but something tells me you might have much more data in your Site Categories system that I do on my own test system.

Where you just getting white screen? Or slow loading? Do you by chance have WP_DEBUG enabled where we could possibly get some details on the issue? Maybe memory limit?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ronsmart,

Yeah, don't see any reason whay that would not work eventually. As I wrote previous the current code just assumes there is one level. I'm working on that code change this week. So on the Grid and Accordion output you will just see a nested list of categories. Sort of like the WP Category widget output.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ronsmart,

In cat 1 I show categories and blogs on that result, is that workable?

Yes, but not showing the blog included with the categories. So on the grid layout you would see just the nested list of categories

Cat 1 (9)
    ChildCat1 (5)
    GrandChildCat1 (3)
    ChildCat2 (2)

But then I'm trying to figure out if the user clicks ChildCat1 do they see all sites within that category plus child categories? Or maybe we make a new Grid layout showing everything on one page.

• ronsmart

But then I'm trying to figure out if the user clicks ChildCat1 do they see all sites within that category plus child categories? Or maybe we make a new Grid layout showing everything on one page.

Yes they should see the cats and list of blogs.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.