Site caught in DNS loop

Hi guys
I've set up a new Digital Ocean droplet and pointed the DNS for DigitalScot.net to that new Wordpress site.
Something seems to have gone wrong, when you try and visit digitalscot.net it gets stuck in some kind of DNS loop and fails.
I thought it was just propagation delay but it's been a couple of days now.
Any ideas?
thanks, Neil.

• Neil McEvoy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'm also now having this same problem with another site, where I went through the same process of setting up a new Digital Ocean droplet and re-pointing the DNS to that IP.
    This is for the site IndyNation.scot
    Actually it worked for a bit. The DNS seemed to kick in, it worked fine, and I then installed the demo content for the active theme, and now it's having the same DNS loop problem.
    what's going on?? is it something to do with Digital Ocean?

• Neil McEvoy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Here is the response from Digital Ocean. If this is the case, and I am still experiencing the issue, does this mean there is a higher level / Wordpress issue, or cookies caching etc at my end?

"It looks like you have faced issues due to DNS propagation. On checking I have found that both the domains are resolving properly now.

indynation.scot. 3600 IN A 206.189.119.119
    ------------

digitalscot.net. 1800 IN A 206.189.224.86

digitalscot.net. 1800 IN NS dns1.registrar-servers.com.

digitalscot.net. 1800 IN NS dns2.registrar-servers.com.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Neil McEvoy

I am getting a redirect loop when I visit on browser. But when I try uptime tool, I get http error. You can check from here: https://www.uptrends.com/tools/uptime

I think the DNS issue happens from DO's side. Would you please create a ticket in DO support portal? They might have a technical issue with your droplet that they can check.

And the worst case is, sometimes it takes even a week to propagate especially when you frquently change DNS of a domain, one of my domain tool 8 days to complete the propagation!

Let us know if you hear back anything from DO team.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Ahh, looks like when you posted, I was researching about your issue, so didn't see that :slight_smile:

And yes, both sites are loading fine now. So, it was clearly a DNS propagation issue and took some time to propagate.

Please note that, wordpress or any files on your server do not have anything to do with domain propagation. Not even related to cookies or caching. Domain propagation means, when a client call a domain, which server it should ping :slight_smile:

I hope all is good now :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.