Site crashed on theme changes

Hi. I was working on this site and changing themes looking at various directory theme when it crashed and gave me the blank white wall. This happened while I was previewing theme changes and customising. I am not sure what I can do now as I can't see the site or the admin.
Any suggestions please?
I don't know how to fix it!
Many thanks
David

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Did this happened while you were editing default theme that comes with Directory plugin or you were using some different theme?

What you can do is go to your WP files via FTP or cPanel, navigate to wp-content/themes/ folder and rename or remove the folder of the theme you're currently using.
    That should revert to default WP theme and you should be able to access your admin section again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

thank you.
    I was looking at other directory themes as a comparison - changed it from the WPMU directory.
    I have been into the files and renamed the themes folder for when it crashed. I then tried loading the site but I just get an error saying :
    The theme directory "business-directory" does not exist.
    I tried renaming all folders except 2015 and it did not revert to that either and has the same error.
    I think deleting the folder will have the same effect then.

thanks again

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello David!

I noticed that although the site returns blank page (does not load) the back-end seems to be working now. I tried to access the /wp-admin URL on your site and after I passed captcha test I was presented with a standard login form.

This suggests that the back-end should be working so I think you could try to login to the site and then "Themes -> Add new" to install some additional "standard" theme (e.g. Twenty Sixteen or older Twenty Thirteen) and then switch the site to it. If that brings back the site you should be able to then switch to other themes. Would you try that please?

Best regards,
    Adam

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Although i deleted and reloaded the theme that was at fault and it does the same thing now. I didn't just before I was customising it when it went bang. Shame as I liked the theme, guess the tables for it are not purged and messed up or something.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi David,

If there's error in theme code itself it will cause you issue each time you activate it so first you'll need to see what's wrong with it.

Can you tell what theme is causing you these issues?

You can also enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

After you activate theme and blank page shows up again it should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you, I may do that. The theme I was checking out is Business Directory By inkthemescom
    I have another theme to look at first but if I dont go with it I will come back to this.

I was using the WPMU directory but to be honest its a bit dated and not responsive.
    regards
    David

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there David,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I just tested installing and activating Business Directory theme in my test installation and I got no errors. :thinking:
    Please keep in mind to activate WP_DEBUG like my colleague Predrag mentioned in his previous reply whenever you want to give it another spin. :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

hello. Can someone please tell me how I can export the listings in directory. I am trying another theme but the listings and categories there do not show and do not appear compatible to use in another theme. It throws up a error as below.
    I just need to be able to bring over the basis of the inputs to save a lot of reentering data.
    Thanks
    David

WordPress database error: [Table 'cl53-a-wordp-ygu.wp_app_geodata' doesn't exist]
    SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS DISTINCT wp_posts.ID FROM wp_posts INNER JOIN ( SELECT post_id, ( 3959 * acos( cos( radians(50) ) * cos( radians(lat) ) * cos( radians(lng) - radians(-5) ) + sin( radians(50) ) * sin( radians(lat) ) ) ) AS distance FROM wp_app_geodata ) AS distances ON ( wp_posts.ID = distances.post_id ) WHERE 1=1 AND wp_posts.post_type = 'listing' AND (wp_posts.post_status = 'publish' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'pending-claimed' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'virtual' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tr_pending' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tr_failed' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tr_completed' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tr_activated' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'private') AND distance < 50 ORDER BY distance ASC LIMIT 0, 10
  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello David H!

You should be able to use standard WP Exporter/Importer to export/import directory listings (I'm referring to our Directory plugin):

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-exporter/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-importer/

Listings are posts of custom post type so they should be handled by WordPress itself if imported and the Directory plugin just adds a "dedicated UI" and some features to that.

Having said that, I'd like to ask you (just for future reference) to try to keep issues separated. The initial thread was about theme breaking the site and even though it was related to Directory plugin it was a different kind of an issue. We encourage Members to start separate threads for issues if they are not strictly related to original ones because it helps us respond faster and in a more accurate manner. It also helps other Members of our community to track issues and solutions. I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Have a great day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.