Site down due to an SSL Certificate Expiring

I started getting site down errors emailed to me every couple of minutes starting on Wednesday evening. This is what’s being reported:

Our systems have detected that your site - (suppressed) - went down on Mar 20, 2019 8:41pm and is returning "Certificate has expired.."

I searched for this in the hosting forums and see this is a problem that others have encountered and that it also hobbled their sites. It looks like the support team had to intervene as nothing was posted for user fixes.

This is a site I migrated from DreamPress Managed WordPress hosting (Apache) where I was using the LetsEncrypt free SSL certificates. I’m not sure how that may be affecting the ability to renew it here but am looking for assistance.

(As an aside, neither of the 2 sites that I migrated a few months ago during the beta actually came across functioning. It was a mess that I tried to resolve multiple times and then walked away from while I was finishing cancer treatments. I really do want to bring other sites over from DreamHost but I’m incredibly reluctant since it’s absolutely hobbled the 2 I tried to migrate. Not sure if this has any impact on the current issue.)

Thanks for any help someone may be able to provide in resolving the expired certificate crippling the site.

Sue.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Sue,

I’m very sorry to hear about this issue.

I have checked your site and it looks like there is a problem with DNS. DNS records are not resolving to our hosting.

Since DNS is not resolved then SSL certificate can’t be generated for this site on our hosting.

Please double check DNS records for your domain if it as described in the docs https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/dns-and-domain-management/#chapter-10

Please confirm when you check this.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Sue
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Kasia, I appreciate your help, but I am frustrated beyond words. I set this up correctly when I first migrated the site a few months ago (based on the links above, which I followed to the letter for both site migrations, and then a third). The one I am currently addressing in this post was running fine until the SSL certificate expired, and then it started throwing errors every 3 minutes. I’ve gone back and taken a look at the guidelines again, walked through it all again both here and at DreamHost and it’s still the same brick wall.

Not a single site migration has been stable. Of the 3, only 1 ever sort of worked (and by worked I mean will run, but the formatting was totally trashed.)

I thought maybe because I had done this with the original Shipper Betas things may have just been buggy, so I paid to set up another site and tried to migrate that last night. Same nightmare, inspite of the marketing plastered all over the plugin that it’s 100% flawless. I never got an email saying the migration worked or didn’t work, even though I checked the setting for that to happen. I look at the error log on this end and it’s just full of problems.

I have been an incredibly happy WPMUDev customer for a long time, have written glowing public reviews and was ready to throw the towel in on a competitor’s hosting that I’ve been with for 15 years, but I have to say I’m bottoming out here. I don’t even know where to start to sort out this mess.

Sorry for the vent, but this is just disappointing :slight_frown:

• Sue
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’m noticing something really odd going on with the first site I set up here. It shows the DNS status as being validated, but when the SSL certificate gets automatically installed it knocks the DNS status out again. Is this a behaviour others have noticed?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear you are having this problem and you are upset.

The Hosting still on beta and we are improving it, shipper also is a really young plugin, we are releasing shipper fixes and some improvements.

I checked your DNS on all your site, and it is right propagated and SSL correctly set as well.

The DNS setup depends on the domain provider, please, feel free to contact us on chat if you have any issue and we can take a closer investigation on this for you, especially for migration and DNS setup if needed.

Best Regards,

Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.