Site downtime

My website is going down several times a day. It appears to have begun when I started a free trial of your products.
I have tried deactivating some plugins but its been going down still.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David Coldwell,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I would like to see what WordPress debugging says about that. Please follow these steps:

- enable WP debugging by adding these lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site (you can do it via FTP or cPanel "File Manger":wink:, make sure that they are above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

- one they are there, wait until site goes down again at least one time
    - then access it via FTP or cPanel "File Manager" again and look for the file named "debug.log" inside the "/wp-content" folder
    - download that file, rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your response here

If you find a file with a name similar to "error_log" on a server (inside your WordPress install folder), also download it, add .txt extension to it and share it with me here please.

I would also like to take a closer look at the site configuration. Would you please enable support access for me? To do this, please go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's dashboard and click on "Grant Support Access" button there and let me know here when it's enabled.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David Coldwell,

thanks for enabling access!

I'd still like to see that debug.log though :slight_smile:

You have shared a screenshot of your "wp-config.php" file and I see that the "define('WP_DEBUG', false);" line is there and it's in correct location. In that case, please simply replace that line with the three lines that I suggested in my previous post and save the file.

Once they are there, please wait until site goes down and follow the steps from m previous post to share the debug file with me. Hopefully it will give me some clue what might be happening so I could provide you with a solution.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi David Coldwell,

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll need to check the "wp-config.php" and other files then to find out why that happened. To do this I'll need direct access to the site so please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question.

I'll then access the site install and investigate the issue to find a solution.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• David Coldwell

Hi Adam, I decided yesterday to start again.
    I reinstalled WordPress on my hosting account and chose to use the Fixer theme and other WPMUDEV plugins.

I have paid for membership today as I was on a free trial.
    I like the range of plugins and themes that come with the membership. Hopefully by using all WPMUDEV products things should work better now.
    Thank you for the help, it is one of the reasons why I chose to subscribe. Good technical support is an important thing!

Thanks again

Dave

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @david59405!

Thank you for letting me know that you decided to start from scratch and I apologize for the late response.

In case you'd need any further assistance (e.g. the issue would be happening again), please let me know and I'll continue working with you on this. In case you'd experienced any other issues or had any other/additional questions, don't hesitate to join our live support chat or start a new ticket on our support forum and we're here 24/7/yr ready to assist you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Coldwell

Hi Adam, I have spent time over the last few days. Everything was going well.
    I activated Hummingbird and the site has been totally F#ck€d up, I have been using upfront to set it up but now the layout is all over the place.
    I have a maintenance plugin setup while I'm rebuilding the site.
    Would you look at it please, I'll grant access again.

I have been using WordPress for years.
    Started getting problems since using wpmudev, do not know if it's me that is unfamiliar with the products... but I've used products from many developers and built many sites.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David Coldwell,

Thank you for your response.

If Hummingbird is breaking the site, that usually is caused by minification that's affecting CSS and JS scripts. Since you have enabled support access to the site, I've accessed it to check it.

I have noticed that Hummingibird is currently disabled and I assume that's because of the issue. I didn't enable it yet as I didn't want to make any changes on the site without your permission but I would like to investigate it to find out what is happening. If you agree, let me know please and I'll access the site again, enable Hummingbird and investigate it to find out what and why is happening and how to fix that.

Looking forward to your reply,
    Adam