site generating out of memory error when trying to run plugin updates

Hi,
i have support access on for edielovesmath.net. I just tried to run the plugin updates and got this error:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 104857600) (tried to allocate 49152 bytes) in /home1/ediemath/public_html/wp-content/plugins/myrepono-wordpress-backup-plugin/myrepono_plugin_functions.php on line 120

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello cornelius_butler

I have checked your site and while there are some "resource hungry" plugins, the site's running on a limited amount of memory.

I'd start with two simple changes:

1. Increase WP memory limit;

Your PHP configuration allows up to 256M of memory for PHP scripts execution but your WordPress is still limited to default 40M. Try increasing that by adding following line to the "wp-config.php" file right above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

2. The site is powered by PHP 5.6.30 which is pretty old and slow. Furthermore, while WordPress itself is compatible with that version (though it's not recommended) it might cause other issues as many plugins may not be fully compatible.

It's recommended to switch to PHP 7.2 but any 7.x version should do. Usually that can be switched in cPanel so please check your cPanel (or any other server management panel that you are using) and look for an option to switch PHP version for the site. If you find it, please switch to 7.x version, preferably 7.2.x.

Once that's done, please go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in site's back-end, click on "System Info" button and check "PHP" tab to verify PHP version and if the change is confirmed, check if the issue with updates still happens.

If yes, let me know please and I'll investigate it further. Hopefully though, that should help :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.