Site going down 10 times "Socket Timeout"

Hi,
My site is going down in the night til morning with "Soket Timeout" error for about 10 times.
I called my hosting provider (OVH) but they couldnt say me more then see with my logs. I am not that able to understand all this logs texts... i see that there is ome messages like :

" [Wed Mar 07 00:00:15 2018] [error] [client 34.196.51.17] [host limitedcat.com] AH10039: FastCGI: server "/homez.594/limitedcpy/www/index.php" stderr: PHP message: WordPress database error Table 'limitedcpy773.mod772_enewsletter_newsletters' doesn't exist for query SELECT * FROM mod772_enewsletter_newsletters WHERE newsletter_id = 0 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('plugins_loaded'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, Email_Newsletter_Builder->register_stuff, Email_Newsletter_Builder->get_builder_theme, Email_Newsletter_functions->get_newsletter_data, referer: https://limitedcat.com/"

Does it helps you helping me ? :slight_smile: I guess it is the plugin Newsletter (that i didnt yet configured), but these error "socket timeout" where coming even before i installed enewsletter plugin.
Thanx for give a hand.
Johan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Johan!

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You're right about the error being related to the E-Newsletter plugin. However, I don't think that's the main problem here, especially that you know that the socket timeout error was happening even before it was installed and the plugin isn't even configured yet.

Usually, such error and the issue is related to resource usage/limits and we'd need to investigate what's causing that.

I assume that logs that your host checked were server logs. I would like to take a look at WP debugging logs then. That said, please:

1. Enable WordPress debugging by adding following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

Make sure that these are above the "/* That's all, stop editing! */" line.

2. Wait until the problem happens again (so, I assume, overnight) and then see if there's a "debug.log" file created inside the "/wp-content" folder. If so, download it, rename to "debug.txt" and attach to your response to my post.

3. Enable support access to the site, so I could take a closer look at it and its configuration. To do this, please go to the "WPMU -> Support" page in your site's admin area and click on "Grant support access" button there:

Looking forward to your response,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Limited Cat,

Thanks for granting access, I checked your server configuration and everything seems to be ok there, memory and timeouts are not on the low values so that shouldn't be the cause.

I also had a look at your debug log but there are mostly notices in there, which shouldn't cause downtime, and only these two warnings:

[08-Mar-2018 23:30:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysqli_query(): MySQL server has gone away in /wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1924
    [08-Mar-2018 23:30:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysqli_query(): Error reading result set's header in /wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1924

Unfortunately this could be caused by number of things like conflict, caching, server settings etc. so it doesn't tell us much :slight_frown:

It's strange that your host couldn't give you more info after checking server logs, did they tell you what errors are shown when e-Newsletter is disabled?

Do you perhaps have a staging site where you can test if the issue is still happening if all of your plugins are disabled and default WP theme is used?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Johan!

It's very likely then that it was actually too many of them or one/some of them were e.g. performing some scheduled tasks in background that were overloading the server.

I'm glad that it's working for you so far, hopefully it will stay that way :slight_smile:

In any case, if the issue happens again or you'd need some additional assistance/advice, let us know please.

Have a great day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.