Site going very slowly Gzip issues

Hello,

I have a site at http://www.hotelowner.co.uk. We recently moved over to a VPS to make it run faster, and it was working brilliantly for several weeks but now is running very slowly.

I am getting the following message on the Hummingbird plugin:
Gzip is not working properly:

- Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX).
- Contact your host. If deflate is enabled, ask why all .htaccess or nginx.conf compression rules are not being applied.

However, I have spoken to my host, they have confirmed it is enabled and configured correctly, and I am still getting the same warning message.

Firstly, is it possible that this lack of compression is what is causing the site to load so slowly, and secondly, is this something you can help me fix since my server/host company are saying it is all in order at their end. Ideally need someone to look at my .htaccess etc and see that everything is present and correct.

Many thanks,

michael

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Michael,

Hope you're doing well :slight_smile:

GZIP will certainly speed up your site but even if it's not active you shouldn't see huge difference, like couple of seconds or something like that, in those cases it's usually something else causing it.

I did also check your site but the GZIP compression is showing properly enabled for me:

It's possible that there was some caching preventing the status of the caching showing properly straight away, but it looks like it's in place now.

What I did notice is that your Browser Caching is disabled completely, can you go to Hummingbird > Caching > Browser Caching tab and make sure that the rules from there are added to your NGINX config file?

You should also try tweaking minification and moving as many files to be loaded from footer without breaking your site functionality.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.