Site Inaccessible Emails

Your system keeps sending me these emails. Can this be resolved once and for all? Been getting way too many of them.

Our systems have detected that your site - http://dcspecialevents.net/ - is inaccessible since Oct 2, 2016 12:08pm and returning HTTP status 503.

You can confirm the problem by visiting your site. If you find your site to be responsive you can disregard this email.
More details »

If you are unable to resolve the issue, open a support ticket and a support hero will respond at hyper speed: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

If you want to turn off monitoring for this site, you can do so here.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Uptime monitoring is supposed to let you know of each and every case of your site being down. From my own experience I can tell that these can last for a few hours but can also last as long as just a minute or so. Those shorter ones may not be easy to confirm "manually" buy visiting the site.

However, I checked your site with following tools (that are not related and/or associated with US in any way):
    - cUrl on my Linux box
    - Chrome Developer Tools
    - tools.pingdom.com

All of them show that although the site is showing up in a browser (so server returns its source code) the initial HTTP response header is "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable".

Our system (by the way I'm located in a different area of the world) receives that response and assumes that the site is not available. That's a proper behavior and the site that works should never return such status.

I'm not sure why this happens on your site but I would say that it's either a "maintenance mode" plugin that you are using that's sending a wrong HTTP header or some other plugin misconfiguration or there's some error in server configuration. I'd however start with the first option.

That being said, I checked the Maintenance Mode Page plugin that you are using on my own setup and I can confirm that it is causing the issue. The plugin causes WordPress to return "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable" HTTP Status in response to any request. Basically, it's saying to the browser and any other script that's trying to load the page that the page is not available.

Once you disable that plugin, those alerts should stop coming. For now, knowing that this is causing the issue, you could disable the Uptime monitoring for your site.

You can also try to tweak the plugin but please note that the changes would be lost upon any plugin update and also it would require editing plugin core. The tweak is to edit the

/wp-content/plugins/maintenance-mode-page/redirect.php

file around line number 23 and replace this code

header('HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable');
    header('Status: 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable');
    header('Retry-After: 86400'); // retry in a day

with this one

//header('HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable');
    //header('Status: 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable');
    //header('Retry-After: 86400'); // retry in a day

header('HTTP/1.1 200 OK');
    header('Status: 200 OK');

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.