Site Is Running Very Slow, Appears MarketPress Realted

Team WPMU,

The last couple of weeks I've noticed a trend with the sites running fairly slowly. Today I went into Google PageSpeed to see if I could diagnose the issue.

Easily three quarters of the render blocking javascript and minify JS errors are directly from Marketpress.

What can be done to resolve this?

Rob

• Nithin

Hi jetmac,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Yes the site is very slow indeed, I did a pingtest, and it seems like the server is having a slow response time with average of 6secs, results does vary but still the issue seems to be related to the server.

Since it's a live website, I didn't test this regarding the plugin, is it possible that whether you could try a ping test with MarketPress disabled? And check whether it makes any difference.

Easily three quarters of the render blocking javascript and minify JS errors are directly from Marketpress.

You could make use of Hummingbird, and enable minification under Hummingbird > Minification. Once minified, you'll have to check Page Speed, and try tweaking the files by moving it to the footer. Please do note that moving the files can sometimes break your website, it entirely depends upon how your theme honors minification settings.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• jetmac

@Nithin ,

Thanks for taking a look. I am also seeing similar numbers, with subsites loading between 3-6 seconds or so.

I've started going to Super-Smush images (previously was just smush). Sites that super-smush load faster.

However, the main site is buddypress, and I don't see how to get Smush Pro to affect avatar images, as they don't show in the media library. There is a noticeable difference between pages with group avatar images and those without.

The site is minified and compressed as much as I am able. Hummingbird says render blocking scripts are optimal, but PageSpeed and Pingdom say otherwise. A copy of my latest scan is attached.

• Nithin

Hi jetmac,

However, the main site is buddypress, and I don't see how to get Smush Pro to affect avatar images, as they don't show in the media library. There is a noticeable difference between pages with group avatar images and those without.

This is due to the fact that the plugin images are too large from where it's being displayed. Google Page Speed doesn't pick such images to be optimized, unfortunately Smush Pro can only smush images from the image library, I'm afraid the only workaround would be resize these images from the plugin according to your themes content width.

The site is minified and compressed as much as I am able. Hummingbird says render blocking scripts are optimal, but PageSpeed and Pingdom say otherwise. A copy of my latest scan is attached.

I just checked your website, and minification is still not enabled? You can see that in Hummingbird > Dashboard Minification is deactivated completely.

Once you enable it, you'll get a new minification menu in your main/subsite. If you click the Remove render blocking resources link in your given screenshot, you can see the exact result from Page Speed, the only way to improve this is by minification, and moving your files as mentioned above.

Would recommend you to give a try, it should help improve your score. I hope this helps. Please let us if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi jetmac,

As a good bit of the render blocking scripts are MarketPress and Slide In, can those be placed into the footer area safely?

As mentioned above, these entirely depends upon your theme, it may or may not work depending upon how your theme renders this. Please do give a go, and check how much it helps in reducing the render blocking issues. If you still have any doubts, we are here to help. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• jetmac

Looks like both MP and Slide In files can go into the footer easily, so hitting that pretty solidly. The interface in Hummingbird is really nice, by the way. Great job on that.

Sadly, I can't optimize images any more than I have. And it's not that I don't want to, it's that Facebook won't allow it. They require images to be at least 200px a side to register in their feed, so if we want group avatars to show up there, they have to be large enough to be picked up, which means we are artificially enlarging them and then sizing them down via CSS.

I'll post in the Smush Pro forum to see if they can address BP images (both avatars and those images in BP Activity +).

Thanks for the help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.