Site is too slow

Hi, after another support ticket (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshot-not-restore-the-backup?replies=24#post-1320866) you have found the site too slow.
Can you help me to find the reasons and the solutions to speed up the site?

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello GiaNet Media

voltaicrose has given an excellent suggestion. It would be helpful to know which site is affected. I see you've associated http://new.c****i-i****iliare.it/ with this ticket. Is this the site in question? If so, that site loaded really quite fast for me when I checked it.

If you don't mind clarifying where you're seeing the speed issues and what site the problem is with, we'll be more than happy to help narrow down the cause.

Best regards,

James Morris

• GiaNet Media
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi James, yes the site is this.
      I have optimized it with all WPMU Dev plugin to have it fastest.
      The server is too fast, and the server cost €219 for year... with 2gb vram, 2 vcpu ecc...
      The site became slow when everyone do the property search, and the properties slider is too slow to load the next slide.
      And when I try to do something in backend (create new property, upload photos, or manage other settings) the site becoma to slow too...
      So, in the cPanel I see saturation about the server resurces, es. CPU going up to 99% and the system become too slow...

• Ash
        • WordPress Hacker

Hello GiaNet Media

I have tried searching and it was not significantly slow.

But yes, from backend it could be slower and sometimes it could be slower from front end too. it actually depends on the database query and operation. You can't fix it by using any caching plugin or something like that. Your query needs to be optimized and handled well. There might be multiple queries which could be replaced with a join operation. The developer of the property feature should be able to help you with that. If this is a third party plugin, you can consult with their support too.

You can also try this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/ to check how many queries are running in an operation.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
        Ash

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello GiaNet Media

You will find an excellent article on getting started with Query Monitor on the Kinsta Blog https://kinsta.com/blog/query-monitor/

If you would like, if you will enable Support Access on the site, we can help track down some possible causes of the performance hit. If it is related to third-party plugins, you can take this information to the dev team of that plugin to see if they can provide some solutions for their product.

There may also be some changes you can make to MySQL that could help performance as well. If you can provide access to phpMyAdmin through your hosting account, we can check to see if there's any server stats that indicate a problem with MySQL. Note: If you have a shared hosting account, there's not much you can change in MySQL for performance improvement. This level of change is limit to VPS, Cloud and Dedicated servers.

If you would like us to take a deeper look for you, would you please grant me access to your site and server so I can perform some advanced debugging?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello GiaNet Media

Thank you for getting that information to me. I've found a few things that are contributing the page load issues as well as discovered a bug in Hummingbird. So... This was rather productive. :slight_smile:

First. Your PHP configuration allows for allocating 512M of RAM to your site, but you had defines in place to limit this to 256M. While 256 is adequate for small, low traffic sites, it's really not enough for large or high traffic sites. I've updated your wp-config.php to allow for 512M of RAM.

Your .htaccess had 2 sets of the default rewrite rules

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

While this may not cause errors, Apache has to process both sets of rules on every page load. I've removed the duplicate.

By going to phpMyAdmin -> Status -> All Status Variables and filtering for Show only alert values I found a significant amount of optimization that can be performed on your MySQL server. However, this really needs to be done by the hosting provider. If you have root access to the server, you can perform the updates to your my.cnf, but this will require work on the command line. Here's a good thread on StackExhange that gives some great tips: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/130809/mysql-my-cnf-recommended-settings

Now, regarding the Hummingbird "Bug"... This isn't a bug as it were as much as it is a needed improvement that has been tasked. If allow_url_fopen is disabled, file_get_contents() is disabled. Hummingbird uses this function. Therefore, with every page load, you're getting a very large number of PHP errors as Hummingbird tries to use this function and fails. This can definitely add to page load times as well. If possible, please enable allow_url_fopen (or request this from your host). I attempted to do this in your .user.ini, php.ini and wp-config.php but it seems to be globally disabled.

I hope this information has proved helpful and will lead to increased performance of your site. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• GiaNet Media
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi James,
      my hosting service told me that the allow_url_fopen and file_get_contents() are enabled.
      I have seen that allow_url_fopen function is acrivated on php options and I have increase the memory_limit up to 512M

About the my.cnf configurations and optimizations, I have write to hosting service and now I'm waiting the reply.

After your customizations I have the Hummingbird test value come down from 76 to 52/100...

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello GiaNet Media

my hosting service told me that the allow_url_fopen and file_get_contents() are enabled.

I checked this originally by creating a phpinfo() file in the root of the active site and checking it's error logs. It appears the host as enabled this because the errors are now gone and the phpinfo() output is showing it is corrected.

Currently, I'm seeing your score in Hummingbird as 75/100.

Looking at the recommendations in Hummingbird, it appears this score could significantly be improved by installing and using Smush Pro. It seems you are already using the Advanced Settings of asset optimization in Hummingbird.

Given the plugins and theme on your site though, it looks (from my end) that the performance has already improved a great deal. I would start with Smush Pro since image load is one of the heaviest parts of the page load process.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Josh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi There,

We host many websites at https://ShortcutSolutions.Net servers that run the WPMUdev plugins and are experts at optimizing them.

Example: LineOfDutyDOTcom is running a lot of WPMUdev plugins (coursepress, hummingbrid, defender, smartcrawler pro) and we have unique Wordpress specific optimizations to enhance the speed of each plugin.

Id be happy to help you if you are looking to continue to use WPMU plugins and get a great memory saving and page speed enhancements added to your site.

We love WPMU and wed love to help your site have a Great First Impression!

Web Hosting: Support@ShortcutSolutions.Net

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.