Site-Level/Network-Level Advertising Plug-in

I run a network of geo-based micro-sites. I want to sell ads to local businesses. I don't want to use Adsense or the like. I want complete control of what show up on my pages.

I've looked at the plugins in the WPMU library but nothing jumps out as being an obvious candidate for my requirements.

1) Front-end management of ad campaigns. Clients should be able to log in, pay, upload creatives and track stats from their own dashboard. Ideally, that dashboard would be white-labelled to my brand.

2) Site-level and/or Network management. Clients should be able to choose which site they want ads to post on. The option for them to choose network-wide campaign would be a nice fat cherry on top. However, as long I myself can create network-wide campaigns, this is fine also.

3) Approval. I want to be able to approve or deny ad campaigns before they go live. If I deny a campaign, I want to return some, not all, of the money.

4) Implementation: Ideally I could define my ad spaces using shortcodes, as this is pretty easy and understandable to me. I could get by doing widgets or even hardcoding space into a child theme. But shortcodes would be best.

I realize some of this might require a combination of plugins (eg, Ad-plugin + marketpress) and that's fine. I've just been unable to find a plugin stack that meets what I need. If I need to go outside the WPMU library for this, that's fine too. I would just want sugestions on which plugins play nice with WPMU and multisite.

Thanks, everyone.

Scott

• Milan

Hello Scott ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Most of your questions requires custom developer for it as we do not have any plugin which can satisfy all of your above needs. But let's look at each one with more insights. :slight_smile:

1) Front-end management of ad campaigns. Clients should be able to log in, pay, upload creatives and track stats from their own dashboard. Ideally, that dashboard would be white-labelled to my brand.

Clients log in not a big issue here, we can utilize some front end login plugins to offer this like,
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/profile-builder/

For add campaign, I am not 100% sure but this may help you. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/

Above plugin will let your users to login to your site and create their listing for their stuff. It will surely not satisfy all of your requirements here, but you can use it as workaround if you do not find any other option than custom coding.

2) Site-level and/or Network management. Clients should be able to choose which site they want ads to post on. The option for them to choose network-wide campaign would be a nice fat cherry on top. However, as long I myself can create network-wide campaigns, this is fine also.

When you say Site-Leve and Network management, if its about site subscriptions then our Pro Sites can help you. It will let your clients create and manage their own site on top of your main network site. Offering network wide ad campaign would not be possible with WordPress Directory plugin. However there are few alternatives here which you may utilize. Take a look at those please,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/simple-ads/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/in-post-ads/

3) Approval. I want to be able to approve or deny ad campaigns before they go live. If I deny a campaign, I want to return some, not all, of the money.

This will require complete custom solution. For this you would need to hire developer or use our Job Portal if you wish. You can find our Job Portal here,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

4) Implementation: Ideally I could define my ad spaces using shortcodes, as this is pretty easy and understandable to me. I could get by doing widgets or even hardcoding space into a child theme. But shortcodes would be best.

Again this is custom coding requirement. !! Hiring developer would be good choice here.

My conclusion on these requirements is that, complete custom solution would be good for project's long future. Project seems quite simple at first look but its indeed complex and you would need to go in detail to make it work for you. So according to me, complete custom solution is best bullet here. :wink:

Let me know if you have any more query or anything else to ask. :slight_smile:
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Scott

Yes. I figured custom would be best way to go.

I have actually, since this post, found a pretty decent way to post ads by shortcode. Haven't quite figured out the front-end aspect of things yet, but I can automate billing on the backend from the ad-platform itself.

So, probably what I'll end up doing is instead of selling from the front-end, is just make a CTA for a "consultation" where I can vet the companies and the ads they want to display. Then once I approve, I can get a VA to do the actual posting.

A bit more time-consuming, but it will help me keep the integrity of my site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.