Site load speed WP Hummingbird

Hello, I have already done all the procedures to increase loading time of the site http://www.materialdequalidade.com.br, but still the loading time is too much, would you like to enter my cpanel wordpresse configure to increase loading time?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Materiano,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site with Pingdom tools and it actually gets quite a nice performance grade but depending on a test location it sometimes loads very long.

The Hummingbird can increase loading speed significantly but it's only a part of the "equation" and there may be other factors that slow the site down, down to the server configuration.

That said, I would like to take a closer look at your setup and review site's configuration. Would you mind granting me a support access to it? You can do this by following this guide here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Materiano,

Thanks for granting access!

I checked and benchmarked your site and I'd like to share some suggestions with you. Some are relatively easy to implement but some may require custom development. Take a look below please.

1. Raise WP memory limit

WordPress (including its themes and plugins) is based on a set of PHP scripts. The PHP on your server is allowed to use up to 256M of server RAM memory. Your WordPress install however is limited to only 40M which is way to small for anything but a basic, simple site with generic theme. Raising that amount may increase speed a bit and it will significantly improve the stability of the site.

To do this, please add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

This line should be located above the "/* That's all, stop editing! */" line.

2. Cleaning up unused plugins

- the "Annoncement Bar" plugin is currently disabled; if you are not using it and are not going to use it anytime soon, delete it;

- the "Search & Replace" plugin is enabled; I believe you used it because you were moving your site but for now it just "sits" there and as it's enabled it occupies memory doing nothing; I suggest disabling and removing it; if you need it "from time to time" at least disable it and enable only when necessary;

- the "WP Overnight Sidekick"; I'm not familiar with this one but I believe it's a sort of "helper" plugin for some WP themes/plugins marketplace; I'm not sure if you are using it but if not, it may be also worth at least disabling it (unless it's really necessary for you)

3. [Custom development] Replacing plugins with code

While I was benchmarking your site I found out two "very hungry resource eaters" there. One is the Easy Digital Downloads plugin and the second one is the "AGP Font Awesome Collection".

I believe that Easy Digital Downloads is a crucial part of your site so that would stay intact.

The "AGP Font Awesome Collection" plugin however is something that could be successfully replaced with a code, mostly some CSS. The plugin is an "all you can eat" type of plugin that adds up a lot to memory and performance usage. The goal of it is to make using Font Awesome easy as a pie but that's always "something in exchange for something else" ("ease of use" in exchange for "performance" in this case).

Font Awesome fonts can be included into any website directly with just a few lines of code and some CSS. The site could be then converted to use them this way (by the way, it should then embed only those fonts that are used).

Pretty much the same applies to the "Favicon por RealFavicon Genarator" because all the necessary favicons can be set with HTML and CSS instead of the plugin.

Another plugin that falls under the same roof is "MaxButtons Pro" as all the buttons are also just a simple HTML elements styled with CSS. This plugin though is not as much "resource hungry" as the "AGP Font Awesome" plugin so that's optional.

4. Implementing full page caching

The last step would be to implement full page caching. I can see that you already got Gzip compression, minification and browser caching enabled on site using Hummingbird and that's great.

Hummingbird however doesn't provide "server-side" full page caching and this is something that can greatly increase the site speed. A plugin such as W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache should work well. A note: both these plugins offer some sort of minification for JS/CSS scripts, gzip compression and browser caching, therefore make sure please that these options are disabled for them so Hummingbird would be handling them. That's because keeping these options enabled "twice" may lead to unexpected issues and Hummingbird's minification is way more advanced than that coming from these two plugins.

The bottom line: steps 1, 2 and 4 are fairly easy to implement and they alone should speed up the site significantly. Step 3 would require custom development so if you don't feel like implementing it yourself you may want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

For now, you could start with steps 1,2 and 4 and see how that affects the site performance. Step 3 though would also be worth giving a shot, especially if other steps help too less in your opinion.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam