Site migration failed. Many tables are missing

Trying to migrate a site to a new location using Snapshot

After migration, many tables missing. And getting "Database Connection Error" error after restoration.

Credentials provided in chat. The Snapshot backup is located in /wp-content/snapshot/ folder

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Luke,

I did couple of tests with your backup files and I also have issues with restoring it.
    Please note that Snapshot is not designed to be used as migration plugin and even though many users reported that it worked fine we can't be sure that it will work in each case.

It seems to me that the backup file was not created properly and that there are some files missing in there that are causing this issue.

Could you grant support access to comdev.comfusion network so we can create new backup of takeaseat subsite and do some further tests?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Luke

Predrag,

Thanks for your response. Since posting that request, I have been doing some further testing and I've come up with a theory. The site the snapshot is coming from has collation set to utf8mb4_unicode_ci, however looking at the tables and the exported SQL files in the Snapshot zip, there are many tables with the collation set to utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci.

I know from experience these tables won't import on the destination server, which for one reason or another doesn't support utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci, only utf8mb4_unicode_ci. An error is thrown. My old solution was to find and replace utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci with utf8mb4_unicode_ci, after which the tables would import fine.

I believe (not 100% certain) that the tables not imported by Snapshot are the tables with utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci. Snapshot must drop the existing table, then attempt to run the SQL in the zip to rebuild it, and perhaps is encountering an error that is not being reported.

Do you think this is a possibility, and if so, if there is a way to work around the problem? Because when Snapshot works, it's great

I will sort out access to our source server tomorrow.

Luke