WSOD after SmartCrawl Update; Site Crashed Deactivating it through WPMUDEV Dashboard

I got a White Screen of Death on regular pages, but not on virtual / child pages after SmartCrawl update through WP Installed Plugins page. Debug didn't display any errors; no console errors, nothing showing in network tab. I then tried to deactivate the plugin from WPMU Dev dashboard and the site hung; there was an error in the console, but I accidentally took a screenshot that only captured the visible part, but one of the errors was: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'hide' of null

I restored the site with the files and DB from after the update, but before the crash and had to reboot the server to get the site up. SmartCrawl was active and frontend had WSOD. I deactivated and deleted SmartCrawl from the default WP Installed Plugins page and the site returned to normal.

I then installed SmartCrawl the WPMUDEV Dashboard and it installed without obvious errors, but hung again when I activated it through the WPMUDEV Dashboard and had to reboot the server again to recover my site.

Also, Chat Support tried: default .htccess, theme, renaming plugin folder, etc. Nothing had worked.

WP: 4.9.8
BP: 3.2.0
SmartCrawl: 2.2.4
WPBakery: 5.5.4
Previous SmartCrawl version worked except that the focus keyword section kept trying to refresh, but never would. The rest of it seemed to function all right.

Please help.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Viveka S,

Apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused, we have noticed that this issue is happening installations that use shortcodes with certain functionality and we have pulled the release until devs fix this.

Version 2.2.2.1 is the latest one available on plugin page https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/smartcrawl-wordpress-seo/ until we have patched version released.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Viveka S

Hi Predrag,

Sorry for the delay; I've been working through a separate issue with a different plugin (Jobs & Experts) which, as part of troubleshooting, required me to reinstall it. When I attempted to reinstall it through the WPMUDEV Dashboard, my server crashed again (more specifically, when I attempted to activate it, after reinstalling it)
    Another ticket is supposed to have been opened to resolve that (but I don't see it yet in my tickets), so I want to wait until it is resolved before I attempt to update the patch.
    Once I am able to update SmartCrawl, I will report back here.
    Thank you!
    Viveka

• Viveka S

Hi Predrag,
    I took a chance and updated SmartCrawl through the WP Installed Plugins page instead of waiting to resolve the WPMUDEV Dashboard issues and the upgrade worked. I am also now able utilize the focus keywords / SEO analysis function again.
    I'm looking forward to a working update for resolving page builder tags (WPBakery for mine); that will greatly increase its utility, as will updating it for Gutenberg, as I am starting to move other sites in that direction (it's far more efficient than the clunky Page Builders and has far fewer conflicts surprisingly).
    Thanks!
    Viveka

• VC Nickels

I had a similar issue the other day with SiteOrigin and SmartCrawl. The most recent update/roll back seems to have fixed it but for the time being I'm going back to Mr. De Valk's program. SmartCrawl just has a few to many quirks and shortcomings currently.

As for Gutenberg and Page Builders, Gutenberg has no place in WordPress Core and will be a bane. All the things we've asked Automatic for and they choose to do the thing no one wants. I'm sure this is a financial motivation and they will start charging for Gutenberg blocks.

• Viveka S

I was vehemently against Gutenberg initially and still do not support it being forced, especially through forced automatic WP updates; however, after playing with it for a few days with a boatload of other plugins and testing site speed, compatibility, etc., I actually loathe going back to working on my current non-Gutenberg sites. I shamelessly piled on plugins, including those that pull content/media from other sites, and without using anything like Plugin Organizer or caching plugins, it still loads fast (<1.5-3s).
      I also think the current UI is not intuitive enough and causes a steep learning curve, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty speedy to set up pages and gave me a lot of flexibility. As for it being financially-motivated, probably so, but aren't most of us, to some extent? lol I'm less concerned with paying for features, as I am with making sure that they are truly worth paying for.
      Anyways, just my two bits.
      Have a fab day!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Viveka S,

Are you referring to WPMU DEV Dashboard issue that you reported in chat, I see you have a ticket for that and Adam has responded in there so can you please follow up on his reply.

VC Nickels really sorry for the inconvenience SmartCrawl has caused recently, our devs are working hard on improving the plugin with each release and to get it to work with as many products out there, which includes page builder themes and plugins, hopefully you will give it another try in future and it will show itself in better light.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Viveka S

Hi Predrag,
      No, I was responding to my message just before that where I had said I was planning to update to 2.2.2.5 after my WPMUDEV Dashboard issue was resolved, but opted to update SmartCrawl right away to 2.2.2.5 via the WP Installed Plugins page. It restored the Focused Keywords functionality I lost a couple of versions ago, so for now my issue has been resolved, but am looking forward to better compatibility with WPBakery and its suggested meta, sans the VC tags.
      Thanks!
      Viveka

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.