Site optimization for speed issues

Hi there,

I've installed the dashboard, WP Smush, and Hummingbird. I've run both plugins, yet my site is slow to load, and the Google PageSpeed Insights is still giving me a fairly low score of 57 mobile, and 47 desktop. It's telling me to optimize images.

Could you please give me some guidance as to how I should use these mentioned plugins, and possibly others that I've purchased as part of the WPMU package in order to improve the performance of my site?

Thanks,
-Nishan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there Nishan,

How are you doing today?

A low rating could be caused by a lot of different things, luckily you got Hummingbird to help you with that. Once you perform a scan in Hummingbird -> Performance Report you'll be able to see suggestions that can help you improve that score, see screenshot:

As for images even if you optimize images with Smush if your theme for example is not using proper thumbnails sizes (using larger images then it should) Google PageSpeed as well as Hummingbird will tell you to optimize images cause they have to be resized as well. Luckily WP Smush PRO does have option to resize images as well so you might want to try that too, you'll find the option in Media -> WP Smush, see screenshot:

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan