Site organisation...

Hi Guys,

I am using Wordpress to rebuild my site ulti.tv... (hosting Ultimate Frisbee videos)

I would like some advice on how to best organize my content.

Most of my content will be embeded video using my flowplayer player. I have made a content type "video"

Each video will need to have a parent "competition" that it was filmed at.

So say I have a video that was the "Final Open match" (the video) of the "2012 Australian National Championships" (the competition)

I want to have a menu that shows a list of competitions... then when the competition is selected, shows the related videos from that competition to my site visitor.

I am a little confused at how the best way to achieve this would be in wordpress, and would appreciate some advice on the best way before I build everything!

thanks

Mike Palmer

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

I'd like to append what Gabe wrote and suggest that you build a custom taxonomy.

Whether you make it act like tags vs categories depends on whether you want it hierarchical. If you sort like...

Australia
    - Final Open match
    Tazmania
    - Devils tournament
    - Where's my water?
    United States
    - It's not Football Open

Then categories make sense because competitions have parents.

If you aren't filing things hierarchically, have them behave as tags.

For certain though, build a custom taxonomy instead of hacking it with standard categories/tags. You won't regret that decision.

• aircooled76
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your responses guys...

I think I will build some custom taxonomy for my site,

I was going to set up a custom content type "Competition" in addition to custom content type "video" Does this effect how the taxonomy operates?

Can I link "Video" content to the "Competition" content?

I would like to include a breif description of the competition at the top of the listing along with the Comp logo and location....

Thanks again for your responses

Mike P

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@aircooled76

I would like to include a breif description of the competition at the top of the listing along with the Comp logo and location....

For this you could use an excerpt if talking about a post or page.

Can I link "Video" content to the "Competition" content?

You could tag the videos with the details.

I was going to set up a custom content type "Competition" in addition to custom content type "video" Does this effect how the taxonomy operates?

It shouldnt be an issue depending on how you set it up.

Cheers

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.