Site registration, ProSites or Members2 Pro?

This or similar questions have been asked many times, but I have not found the answer to my question!

As I build this new site, I am trying to figure out wich is better:
1. Prospect sign up for a site through ProSite level 1 and gets an email with signup code to M2 level 1.
2. Prospect signup for a M2 membership level 1 and gets access to a ProSite level 1.

As it will be five levels, each level will not be upgradable to the next level, but they can sign up for other levels with one account.

As this is not going to be a membership site per se but, M2 is network activated and prospects will create a site on ProSites. I'll use M2 to protect content and give each level access to stuff and other features.

On ProSites it will be five different prebuilt sites they can choose from, each site will be a ProSites Level 1-5. I'll not be using the pricing tables. And instead of using the ProSites levels as access to more features and stuff, I'll use Pretty Plugins where they can purchase plugins as they see fit their needs.

The question is, which of these two plugins should I use for the registration and how can I get this to work the way I described?

Regards
Dennis

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Dennis,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

If I'm understanding your setup correctly you wouldn't need Pro Sites for this kind of network.

What you can do is enable "Logged in users may register new sites." option from network settings and thus limit new site creation for registered users only.

Then you can use M2 for registrations and setting up what they can access.

For selecting pre-built sites you can use New Blog Templates plugin, but the downside here is that it doesn't allow you to limit which site can be used based on membership, it will show all template sites.
    To make it work differently it would require some custom coding I'm afraid.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any followup questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dennis
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks, Predrag,

No wonder I couldn't find any solution to get this to work as I've been looking at it!

I had planned to use the New Blog Template plugin as this feature works with ProSites.

This feature should also work between M2 and the New Blog Template plugin! Perhaps a feature request?

Regards
    Dennis

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dennis!

The New Blog Templates plugin will work with- or without Pro Sites. The Membership 2 Pro plugin however wasn't designed with such a scenario in mind and Pro Sites does work a bit differently. It seems than such a case wasn't anticipated.

As for feature request, please feel free to post it in our "Features and Feedback" forum and if more members of our community will support it, our developers will consider adding it in future.

I do think though that the best way for now would be to go for custom developed solution and luckily Membership 2 Pro includes a nice API which could be helpful here. You will find documentation for that API in your site's dashboard on "Membership 2 -> Help -> API Docs" page.

You may also want to post a question about custom development at our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dennis

Hi Adam,

Not all installs are the same! :slight_smile:

In this case, it will work without any customization, and I am still getting my way around this plugins and learn how they work and figure out the best way to use them.

and if more members of our community will support it, our developers will consider adding it in future.

Well, we have been through this argument a few times before, the way it is set up, it isn't working very well. I was browsing through that forum, and that exactly what you need to do to search for any feature request you might want to vote for and not many do exactly that.

Many times a must have feature, often offered by competitors, won't be added anytime soon into WPMUDEV plugins. Therefore many users here need to look for and end up using a solution already provided by competitors.

Regarding the change log of some plugins, it has been many months from the last update and sometimes a must have requested feature has not been added! Often it is just a minor bug fix!

And there isn't even a roadmap! No one knows anything about what is coming or when, so they could schedule their work around something they might want to use!

Regards
    Dennis

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dennis!

Thank you for your replay.

I really can understand your point on this, however please note that we as a support staff are not setting developers goals, nor are we deciding which features will be added or not to the plugins. There's a lot of features suggestions and a lot of them has already been implemented or is already added to the "roadmap". I realize that there's also many that are still not handled but there must be priorities set. These however are not in my (or my support team colleagues') capabilities.

Certainly, what's considered/marked a bug would be handled in the first place, though here we are not talking about a bug but a case scenario that wasn't meant to be handled that way. I can see the potential of such solution but again, this is up to the community and the support it gets from other members and then, the developers - based on this- must decide whether it gets implemented and if so when will it happen. A feature suggestion is a suggestion and it shows developers the way to go but it doesn't include a guarantee of the feature being implemented.

Having said that, I hope this one will get more support, thus encouraging developers to implement it in future (if you decide to post a feature request).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dennis

Adam,

I really can understand your point on this, however please note that we as a support staff are not setting developers goals

I am acutely aware of the limitation the support staff has, and I know, you and your colleges take the extra mile to provide the best support you can, the feature request or the lack of adding them is another thing!

I came across a little-known WP gem, a network of networks that hopefully can solve the way I want to build this site. The question is, will M2 be able to deal with it and allow members to go between networks? In other words, are M2 and other W-DEV plugins WPNN compatible?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/network-of-multisite-networks/

Dennis

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.