Site shutting down, DDoS possible.

At first the site was getting slow and going down. The host identify a bunch of IPs that were sending massive number of requests to the site so that seems like a DDoS attempt.

During the chat (see chat transcript) access to the site was regained and all the access apart for strictly selected IPs was closed.

A number of security precautions were taken and the site was back open for access. It goes down immediately now. Server logs show continuous access attempts that looks like port-scanning. What else can be done?

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Ivan

At the time of my investigation of your site, all seems to be calm and working very fast. I do see that you have Defender Pro installed. I did a little extra configuration there to further tighten up security, but all in all, things look good there. Please remember you can Blacklist IPs in Defender by going to WP Admin -> Defender Pro -> IP Lockouts -> IP Banning. This is mostly automated based on the rules set in the plugin, but if you choose, you can manually add entries as well.

I also see you have All In One WP Security installed and enabled. While AIOWPS and Defender share some features, there are some features they do not have in common. It's recommended that you do not enable shared features on both plugins. Simply pick one or the other, then configure the non-shared features as desired.

At this time, though, it seems as thought he attack has passed and your site is performing well. With both of these plugins working in conjunction, this should mitigate future such attacks.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Ivan
    • New Recruit

Thanks for the note, and for looking into the issue. All does seem fine now, thanks to the help I received from Nastia and Adam. Bluehost also took some measure. We're keeping an eye on things, of course, and I note what you suggest about Defender and AIOWPS. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.