Site speed improvements

We use WPMUDEV and Hummingbird but this and Google Insights is showing some points that show the site is slow but we need your help in optimising things.

Browser caching

4 of your cache types don’t meet the recommended expiry period of 8+ days. Configure browser caching 

But the details lower on the page say Automatic browser caching is active.

How do we fix this?

Remove unused CSS - 75/100

You can save 213 KB by defering the following CSS files.

Most of these appear to be wpmudev css files, for example:

https://hb.wpmucdn.com/sleepyheadclinic.co.uk/7083faf7-1a60-424f-b431-883bd904e613.css

Can these be deferred?

Serve static assets with an efficient cache policy

Browsers download and cache (store) assets locally so that subsequent visits to your pages load much faster. You have the ability to specify how long cached assets are stored before the browser downloads a newer version. Ensuring your resources have reasonable expiry times will lead to faster page loads for repeat visitors.

For example:

https://sleepyheadclinic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/logo-green.png

https://hb.wpmucdn.com/sleepyheadclinic.co.uk/b1741b3e-bd54-4ee7-b3cb-15aa33079739.js

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Steve

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

4 of your cache types don’t meet the recommended expiry period of 8+ days. Configure browser caching

But the details lower on the page say Automatic browser caching is active.

Google "requirements" regarding cache expiration are a bit "strange" and as far as I'm aware they are now only recognizing caching policy as "efficient" if expiration times are at least 1 year, which is really long. PageSpeed actually does detect that browser caching is active, it just says cache is set to expire in a shorter therm than suggested year.

You should be able to change that for the HTML/JS/CSS/IMG resources that are served directly from your site in Hummingbird's browser caching settings. It won't actually speed up the site but it should increase the score. For the resources that are coming outside of your site, there's not much that can be done as you/we don't have control over them.

We're also looking into changing default caching expiration in HB in future to match Google recommendations, though I don't have an ETA on this currently.

You can save 213 KB by defering the following CSS files.

Most of these appear to be wpmudev css files, for example:

This is mostly a matter of fine-tuning Asset Optimization configuration in Hummingbird. If you switch it to "Advanced Mode" (button next to "clear cache" on Asset Optimization page) you'll notice that there are options to compress and combine assets, to move them to footer and inline for CSS and to load after page is loaded for JS files.

It's nearly never possible to deal with all the reported files, unless either the site is really extremely simple or without actually breaking it, but it's possible to "minimize" the issue. The point is to combine, move to footer and inline/load after page is loaded as many of listed files as possible without breaking the site. It's a bit daunting task, mostly "trial and error" procedure but can be achieved and should, indeed, increase the score and performance.

I've quoted and addressed only these two aspects because everything else you mentioned is in fact related. I realize my response is quite "generic" though and I'd like to ask you if you could enable support access to the site so I could take a closer look at its configuration. Would you mind doing that?

If I could check how the site itself and how the Hummingbird plugin is currently setup/configured, I would be able to give you more detailed response on what should/could be done (and how) to improve the score and real performance.

In order to enable support access, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in site's back-end and click on "Grant support access" button there.

Let me know here once it's done, please, as I won't be automatically notified.

I'll then check the site and get back to you with more detailed response.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.