Site-wide theme update issues.

Anyone come across a similar issue as the one below and have a fix?
When I attempt to activate and update a series of themes in the Siteadmin-->Themes section a download dialog comes up asking me to download wpmu-edit.php. Everything else works in my wordpress installation except this. Is anyone else getting this problem? Any ideas for thinking through this one?
(This may have been better served under Theme Support)
Thanks,
Jim

• mblackmo

Actually,

I looked into the server end, and that wasn't the issue (or at least I don't think it was). I don't pretend to play a server admin on TV.

I did find a solution to this one on the WPMu forums (thank you Andrew) here. Seems like the wp_meta table (specifcally the allowedthemes row) was emptied somehow. I'm not sure how this happened, but when I deleted the row it was instantly repopulated on the next update of sitewide themes and everything is now showing up and working fine. Very strange. I'm not sure of the root of this problem, but I'm glad I found a quick fix.

Jim

• simonben

Image only ads won't show!!!

These themes are a nightmare. Some of the ad placements are pretty poor too (sorry). There are enormous ads above the post content - which would annoy the hell out of anyone!

I appreciate the work and effort that has gone into these themes, but the next release (if there is one) should make the ad placement a little more discreet.

If you are going to put ads above the content, it should be a small box or banner, not an A4 sheet sized ad, lol.

Just humble my opinion, keep up the good work.

: )

• Gautier_Girard

Hello,

I'm new to WPMU Premium. I'm not sure to well understand your WSA implementation with Farms 100 theme pack.

- Once WSA for wpmu is installed, we need to go through the 100 themes and grab the WSA code, and then add each code to the WSA plugin interface ?

- Here you say" # Internationalization of every theme (assisted by the team from blogs.sch.gr)". It made me understand before paying that I only had to translate once and the translation would work for the 100 themes pack. Is it right ? Where do I translate ?

• Gautier_Girard

Hey James,

Thanks for your reply.

I've had a chance to play with it these days. There are two issues at that time. The first is related to WPMUDev plugins, and the second is related to your themes ( :wink: ) .

# POEdit and your plugins

There is a small issue with your plugins, which cause POEdit to fail its catalog update from sources.

You have these lines in most of your plugins (haven't have tested all of them actually :wink: :

_e('' . urldecode($_GET['updatedmsg']) . '')

POedit doesn't like the two '', saying they are empty strings. So I changed them with :

_e(urldecode($_GET['updatedmsg']))

And POEdit is happy with that. I haven't tested so I don't know at the moment if the corresponding texts sent through JS and urls will be translated ?

Could you please do these changes to your plugins in the next versions to make foreign users like me greatly happy ? :slight_smile:

# Regarding themes now :

POedit is also angry with some themes because they've got errors. I'll take a look at them, but most of errors are also due to empty strings. There are 23 errors. One of them causes a fatal error in updating from sources according to POedit.

Please find below the log produced by POedit. By chance, POedit gives the full path to each file causing an error, why, and at which line it is.

I'll fix them in my local install and will get back here when POedit won't fail when updating from sources :

15:13:05: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\benevolence\comments.php:22: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:05: gettext("") returns the header entry with
    15:13:05: meta information, not the empty string.
    15:13:05: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\benevolence\comments.php:22: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\daisyraegemini\comments.php:18: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: gettext("") returns the header entry with
    15:13:06: meta information, not the empty string.
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\daisyraegemini\comments.php:18: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deepBlue15\comments.php:17: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deepBlue15\comments.php:17: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deichnetz\comments.php:17: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deichnetz\comments.php:17: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deichnetz\sidebar.php:32: invalid multibyte sequence
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\deichnetz\sidebar.php:32: invalid multibyte sequence
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\dixiebelle\sidebar.php:38: invalid multibyte sequence
    15:13:06: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\dixiebelle\sidebar.php:38: invalid multibyte sequence
    15:13:09: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\radmod\comments-popup.php:94: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:09: gettext("") returns the header entry with
    15:13:09: meta information, not the empty string.
    15:13:09: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\radmod\comments-popup.php:96: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:
    15:13:09: C:\Documents and Settings\Gautier\Mes documents\hotes\heyheyhey\wp-content\themes80507 100 big ones\radmod\comments-popup.php:96: warning: Empty msgid. It is reserved by GNU gettext:

• Gautier_Girard

Thanks to you guys. :slight_smile: So we'll speak about regexps and themes now...

... indeed I need to mention another (fatal) issue related to translation. Translation doesn't work for themes because of this. For this example I'll take the theme Benevolence and its index.php file.

You have some strings like this :

<?php edit_post_link(__('Edit this','benevolence'), ' | ', ''); ?> (line 13 here)

If you translate the corresponding sentence and upload the .mo file, the translation won't work because of the second __ argument, in this case ,'benevolence'.

With that, WP still displays the English text, not the translation.

So if you delete this mention like this :

<?php edit_post_link(__('Edit this'), ' | ', ''); ?>

WP actually displays the translation. It works.

Can you please fix these issues in your themes ?

I also need your help to fix them in the pack I downloaded... I'd like to use grep or Powergrep to search them using regular expressions but I'm stuck...

I tried this regexp :

(__\(')[a-zA-Z]+(',')[a-zA-Z]+('\))

It would only work if there were no spaces in the patterns (ie __('Editthis','benevolence') ). But there are spaces and maybe numbers. And I don't know how to add these chars in the pattern. My tries don't work.

Can you please help me fix this fatal issue within themes ? It would be great if you could also provide me with the replacement pattern.

Or maybe there is an easier way to solve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gautier.

• Luke

I'll say that I don't know a thing about internationalization up front. Honestly, for my personal use, I take as much out of it as possible.

However, I will say that the particular format you've listed above ('Edit this','benevolence') would be something that was done by the original theme author.

The method is referred to as a "Text Domain", and is a valid parameter/argument for the functions.

For the themes in the theme pack(s), they're all freely available wordpress themes. The folks here have just simply put them together, made sure they work with MU, added in a few features to specific premium plugin calls, and released them.

The beauty of that, is that you could find the site for the actual theme, and typically track/find/resolve most issues with the theme itself. In the case of this theme, benevolence, you may find some tips/tricks/information on their site that may help you out.

• Gautier_Girard

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

It's not about theme customization, I don't need tips and tricks related to themes... it's about the theme pack and the fact some themes don't work when they should be translated.

The problem is not particular to benevolence but a certain number of themes, nor it's particular to my own install but the themes.

I need two regexps (or any other solution) that could fix the problem and let them work as described.

• Luke

That's the whole problem, though, that you're not seeing.

The following is a valid format in the gettext format:
    __("This is my string", "my_text_domain");

So, using benevolence as an example:
    __('Edit this','benevolence')

"Edit this" is the string that gets translated, and "benevolence" is the text domain.

If that wasn't valid it wouldn't tell theme/plugin authors to add that on the WP Codex.

I'm not sure what parameters/methods you're using to translate, but there is a flaw in it as it's not picking up on the text domain parameter, which is valid.

So, what I've been trying to convey is that you're causing yourself a lot of extra work and heartache with the whole regex stuff, as it isn't needed.

For reference, here are some relevant codex page links:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Localizing_WordPress
    http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Nbachiyski/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin

If need be, search within each of those pages for "text domain", and you can see that not only is it a valid parameter in the gettext scope, but also highly recommended that theme and plugin authors use it.

Removal of the text domain parameter can cause issues when the theme/plugin goes to load that text domain and it doesn't exist.

• Luke

Um, why not simply reference the documentation and learn how to work with it?

Lots of plugins and themes follow that method, and the more themes you run into and translate, the more problems you'll have.

If you brush up on translating, you'll save yourself much time, pain, and angst than trying to recode any theme or plugin that uses a text domain.

I'm sure there are tons of resources out there through google to help you in this.

Maybe even a quick check of the theme/plugin website, or its author's website will help.

If this was something that really broke translation, the wordpress site would be flooded with complaints.

Point being, if you quickly learn how to properly translate these plugins/themes, then you'll save a ton of time down the road.

• Qlof

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll probably wait and update the themes then.

Most of the themes are already translated. I don't know if it's because of the "internationalization" or because of my MU language files (which are said to only translate the admin menus). But there are words here and there that aren't translated so I'll probably go through all of the themes and edit them one by one. If it's just a word here and there it shouldn't be a big problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.