site will not go above 86 score on hummingbird

Hi,
I have support access on for catcspeaks.com. Hummingbird will not go above 86 on the score no mattter what i've done. Can you take a look and offer some suggestions on anything else that can be done?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello cornelius_butler

Thanks for reaching out to us!

The 86 score is a really good score, it doesn't really need much action on the site. Note please that in most cases it's very difficult, if possible at all, to reach score of 100 points and anything in 70-80 range should be considered acceptable while above 80 is really good.

As for your site. I checked it and there are some more things that could be done.

1. Image compression

Hummingbird reports these images as needing compression:

Compressing and resizing http://catcspeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/20180623_110257.png could save 39KiB (40% reduction).
    Compressing http://catcspeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Cat-C-Biz-Card-Photo.jpg could save 2.4KiB (15% reduction).
    Compressing http://catcspeaks.com/?cp_contactformtoemail_captcha=captcha&ps=_1&inAdmin=1&width=200&height=75&letter_count=5&min_size=30&max_size=40&noise=190&noiselength=4&bcolor=ffffff&border=000000&font=font-1.ttf could save 2KiB (32% reduction).
    Compressing http://cdn.schedulicity.com/images/schedulenow_dk_red7_lg.png could save 1.7KiB (35% reduction).

The last one should be ignored as it's hosted outside of your site and you can't really do anything about it. The 3rd one - it's actually a font file and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure why it got there. It shouldn't even be reported as it's not an image and it can't be compressed with any "image optimization" method. I believe it's some non-typical way of how the file was added to the site but in any way, this one should be ignored as well.

The 2nd one - you would want to find it in Media Library and see if there's a "Smush Now" button next to it, if so, smush it. I'd also recommend switching off Imagify plugin as it's conflicting with Smush.

The 1st image - that's a bit different story and it might indeed affect the score. It's marked as "compressing and resizing" which means that it's already compressed but is bigger than its HTML wrapper. The image is 720x578 pixels in size but it must be displayed on site in a smaller size, thus forcing browser to dynamically resize it and that's lowering the score and slowing down page rendering. To solve that you would want to find out where this image is displayed on site and check what size is used there, then manually resize and re-upload the image. For example, if that image is displayed as 500 x 400 pixels, the image itself should be manually resized or cropped to 500x400 pixels.

2. Render blocking resources

Hummingbird reports some resources (JS/CSS) files as "render blocking". This means that they slow down page rendering. The solution to this is fine-tuning Hummingbird's Asset Optimization. What you'd need to do would be to go to "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization" page and switch it to "Advanced" mode.

This will give you access to more options in addition to "minify". The goal is to use these options to minify, combine and move to footer (and "load after page load") as many files as possible without breaking the site. This is a daunting task and can take a lot of time to configure, as it must be done in a "trial and error" process, I'm afraid. The best way to do it is to set options for 2-3 files first, check the site and if it works fine, continue with next files on the list but if not - first change options for these files until you get the site working again, and then proceed with next ones.

Please note: some of the files listed in Hummingbird are not "local to your site" and these files cannot be addressed. However, fine-tuning Asset Optimization the way I described above should help with the score.

Other than this, I think it's fine and even current 86 score is quite nice. The PageSpeed Insights test as well as Hummingbird Performance test they doesn't indicate the speed of the site but just check the site against things that could possibly speed it up. I've seen sites with 80-90 score being really slow and sites with a score below 20 that run with a blazing speed. So, in the end, your "subjective experience" should be the ultimate measure :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.