Sitemaps and SEO - Wordpress MU Style

Hi,

Good day! I trust you are well.

We are using WPMU Ver. 2.9.2

We have installed the plugin "Sitemaps and SEO - Wordpress MU Style", how do we really know if its working or not ?

Thanks & Regards

• mikee17
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Aphrodite! That is true, but how is it when new blogs are created bcos we have WPMU ?
    eg: I had submitted mysite.com/sitemap.xml or test1.mysite.com/sitemap.xml and later the day or tomorrow I again create test2.mysite.com ...

• mikee17

Yes drmike, when I open test1.mysite.com/sitemap.xml on browsers, it WORKS on IE8, but does NOT display the page on FF or Chrome)..the error messages are as follows:
    FF:
    XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
    Line Number 5, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    ^
    Chrome:
    This page contains the following errors:

error on line 5 at column 6: XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

OK, so you;re getting an error. That's different than what you had in your first post. Can you please provide a working link so we can see what's occurring? Without seeing what's causing the error, we can't offer any real assistance. (Just to let you know, I'm leaving to relocate for the afternoon in about five minutes so it may be an hour or so until I respond unless someone else does.)

• mikee17

Thanks drmike. As a test, I just created a new test blog( http://myphotography.topsiteblog.com/ ) and to see if the sitemap is being created, I opened the link directly on a browser(this time again Chrome) and the sitemap file was created even though the Chrome browser displays an error, but as you can see IE does NOT show error.
    I checked the path 'wp-content/blogs.dir/' . $wpdb->blogid . '/files/' and the file was just newly created.
    The link is http://myphotography.topsiteblog.com/sitemap.xml

Thanks & Regards

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I stopped for lunch.

A quick check shows that you;ve got five blank lines right at the top of your feed. Usually that's a sign of blank lines after the closing ?> marks in a file that you've edited. My money is to check on your wp-config.php file although usually that would be shown as "header already sent" errors elsewhere. If that file is fine, start checking any new php files that you've recently edited and/or uploaded.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

edit: A quick google so I could have something to point you at shows that feedvalidator now has a page just for this error:

http://feedvalidator.org/docs/error/WPBlankLine.html

Never seen that before.

• mikee17

Thanks again drmike, I see what you mean and I'll check to fix the blank lines issue...so the feed validator validates them.
    Btw, any idea why does my URL work on IE and not on other browsers? Is it that IE is smarter or .. : )

Does the plugin "Sitemaps and SEO - Wordpress MU Style" normally create the sitemap.xml file automatically (for me it does NOT) when each new blog is created or do we have to open the blogs sitemap url in a browser at-least once each time ?

Thanks & Regards

• mikee17

We have managed to fix the blank lines issues, there were blank lines after the closing php tag (?>:wink: mainly on the plugin files under the /mu-plugins/ folder.

Now we are left with couple of questions as follows:

1. What do we have to do regarding our sitemap.xml link when validated against a) FeedValidator b) W3Validator , they both show different messages.

2. Does the plugin "Sitemaps and SEO - Wordpress MU Style" normally create the sitemap.xml file automatically (for me it does NOT) when each new blog is created or do we have to open the blogs sitemap url in a browser at-least once each time ?

Kindly advice...

Thanks & Regards

• mikee17

Thanks Andrew, now its clear on when/how sitemaps are created using this plugin.

@drmike, with your help and right solution...we have fixed the issue(few blank lines on top) we had initially. Now, they work fine on all common browsers. Thanks!

Did anyone get a chance to look at our test sitemap URL validated against two online XML validators and the two different results we get...? a) FeedValidator b) W3Validator

Thanks & Regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.