Sitemap/SEO Plugin and Google Webmaster Tools

Traditionally you can register your sitemap to Google through their "webmaster tools" system which gives you a lot of interesting insights about ranking etc. My question is; when it asks me for the xml sitemap location do I provide the direct link to the wp-conent/sitemaps.php file? I assume that's the way to do it since there isn't a sitemaps.xml file in the root of the site (or at least not yet). Thanks!
Mike

• Mike
    • New Recruit

No, it gives me a 404 error. I uploaded the plugin as described and did the Network Activate on it and moved the sitemap.php file to the root of wp-content, but nothing seemed to happen. I assume it generates an XML sitemap at some point and puts it in the root of the site on it's own or am I missing something?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm, that shouldn't be yielding a 404 with the plugin setup. Could you please verify you've got the sitemap option ticked at Network Admin > Settings > WPMU DEV SEO as illustrated here?

Also, could you possibly get us a screenshot of the settings in Tab 2?

Thanks,
    David

• Mike
    • New Recruit

OK, I am an idiot... Some how I installed the Simple Sitemaps plugin instead of the WPMU DEV SEO plugin. Sooooo... I was basically looking for something that wasn't even there. No wonder I wasn't seeing any of what was described in the install directions. OK, I installed the right plugin, configured the thing and it works like a charm. Thanks for your help David!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Mike,

Actually, that was my fault, I should have noticed in the sidebar the Sitemaps and SEO plugin is tagged, rather than WPMU DEV SEO.

Fortunately, the more recent SEO plugin provides a plethora of additional options and functionality over that prior Sitemaps plugin.

Glad that worked for ya!

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.