Sites are not recognized on the category page and in the sidebar widget.

I manage a multisite with almost 300 subsites. I have installed Categories and defined 15 categories. Each subsite will define a min of 1 or a max of 2 categories. I have allocated 2 categories to 8 of the subsites as a trial. When I look at my selection of subsites under network admin/sites, I see the categories correctly assigned. The problem is that only 1 of these 8 categorized subsites is recognized on the categories page and in the sidebar widget.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi ntus,

I had a look at your site and in your Network admin I saw only two subsites with assigned category and that's the same thing that's showing on frontend category page, did you made any changes in the meantime?

Also, I see that you have updated WordPress but the network update notification is still shown on your subsites, can you perform this update as well so that subsite databases are properly upgraded and if not it could cause issues like these.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• ntus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Predrag.
    The 2 subsites that you see on the category page ("kategorier") are in fact the same subsite visible under the 2 categories that were assigned to it. There are 8 subsites that have categories allocated - 2 to each subsite - and all these 8 site category attributions are visible under network admin / sites (to me, in any case).

I performed the global update as you suggested, but nothing changed.

2 of the subsite names are in fact the same as 2 of the defined category names; could this cause a problem?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello ntus,

I hope you're well today!

I checked your site and noticed that none of the categorized sub-sites - except that only one that's included in the front-end directory - is set to let search engines index the site (In "Settings -> Reading" of particular site's dashboard). Setting that option to "let search engines index the site" should help.

Can you please give it a try and let me know if it worked for you?

Best regards,
    Adam

• ntus

Hi Adam
    I changed the settings to allow search engines, but it didn't help. I also reversed the setting for the one site that is visible, id 275, expecting it to disappear, but it was still visible.

I do though think that you're on the right track - and I can imagine that your developers may have wished to take account of privacy settings when they developed the plugin. However, it's hard to imagine that a site's status as Google-indexed, or not, ought to have any bearing on the categorisation "select". Still, I do recognize that this setting is the only recognisable difference between the 8 subsites.

Regards
    Duncan

• ntus

... an additional bit of info.
    I have detected that the individual sites' category settings are no longer accessible (settings / site categories). Whilst the dropdown list is visible, nothing is selectable. This affects all sites, even those 8 that already had been allocated categories via this function. They all display "none selected", though the previously allocated categories are all visible under network admin / sites.
    This situation was not the case before I performed the requested network update on the 29th.

• ntus

Hi Adam.
    Please ignore my last post. Let's call it "work in progress".
    Anyway, the good news is that I now understand what happened - and it is indeed directly related to the "allow google to index" setting. However, merely changing this setting to "allow" for a subsite that you have already categorized will not work. The setting MUST be set to "allow" BEFORE the categories are set. So for subsites that do not have "allow" set, the categories must be first set to "none selected" - click save - select "allow" under reading - click save - and then allocate the categories.
    I don't think that this is the most desirable behaviour for the plugin. Would it be possible to amend the plugin to have a new category settings option: "ignore privacy settings"?
    Additionally, if you successfully allocate categories, which will also add 1 to cat count, and then switch off the "allow" switch, the category count isn't correctly decremented.
    Regards
    Duncan

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Duncan,

Thanks a lot for the additional info about this issue, after testing with non-indexed site I was able to replicate the issue and when making site available to search engines it still didn't add it to correct category until I went to category page for that subsite and re-saved the settings there.

I will chat with the devs about this and if the behaviour could be changes, but for now the workaround is going to Settings > Site Categories panel and saving changes there when you made changes to subsite indexing options.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• jayjay
        • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Predrag Dubajic ,

Yes it does work when I set the subsites to allow the site to be indexed. My problem I need the sites to be set to password protected. (Using the Multisite Privacy plugin).

I have several multisites setup for local high schools and colleges. The students sites need to be kept password protected. They only give out the password to potential employers/parents/etc.

The work around Jose gave me in the other thread did work and I will see if I can figure out a solution. I tried to use the php file he had but it didn't work.

Here's what Jose had told me in the other thread:
        "Basically, I'm changing how it checks if the blog is public from this:
        $blog->public == 1 (will index only public blogs)
        to this:
        $blog->public != 0 (will index all except non-public blogs)."

Not sure if that helps the developer or not. I will let you know if I can get things working and please let me know if you get a fix. I would definitely appreciate it.

Regards,

Jayjay

• jayjay
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Predrag Dubajic ,

I tried the new file. It is partially working. Here's what I have done:
    - I deleted the current Site Categories and create new ones.
    - All the sites that are currently on the network are listed in the Default Category.
    - When I go to the Landing Page all the categories are listed. They have no sites listed in them except the Default Category.
    - I click on the Default Category and it shows all the students sites and I can click on the student sites. They open in a new tab, which is perfect.
    All this works brilliantly.
    Where I'm having a problem is when go to a students site and go to the Setting -> Site Categories and try to select a category from the drop down list and it won't allow me to. It shows the None Selected option and the rest of the categories but it won't allow me to select anything except the None Selected option.

This also happens when I try and set up a new site on registration. It shows all the teachers categories but will not let me select any of them except None Selected.

Thanks for all the help,

Jay

• Predrag Dubajic
      • Support

Hi Jay,

Since we're starting to deal with different issues here can you please start a new chat or a separate thread about this and grant support access so we can investigate this further.

This ensures that we don't miss any questions and that we don't spam original poster with email notifications about our responses.

Thank you,
      Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.