Sites at multiple domain names without path

Is it possible with the multi-domain plugin to have sites at following urls:

domain1.com

domain2.com

That is to say, I do NOT want to have to specify a site name for each domain (i.e. domain1.com/sitename, domain2.com/sitename)

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi marpa, thanks for being a member and for using the forum.

As far as Im aware the multi-domains plugin simply allows you to have a few domains to choose from in a multisite install.

So you would have domain1.com and domain2.com

People can then choose a domain from these sites….so I would have thepath.domain1.com or domain1.com/thepath depending on your install.

Ive havent used this plugin yet but thats my understanding of it.

Cheers

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marpa,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

The Path is on the right track, the Multi Domains plugin allows you to have MultiSite installations on multiple domains i.e. tom.domain1.com and tom.domain2.com etc.

Of course in a Directory install it would be more accurate to say domain1.com/tom and domain2.com/tom where the previous example was considering a sub domain install.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• clas-web
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for clarification. I’m doing a Directory install. What I want is to have different sites at all the following urls:

domain1.com/

domain1.com/site1

domain1.com/site2

domain2.com/

domain2.com/site1

domain2.com/site2

In other words, I want to have 2 or more sites that consist of domain names without paths. Hope this makes sense

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marpa,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

In other words, I want to have 2 or more sites that consist of domain names without paths.

This has thrown me off a little bit, they will still have paths or perhaps we are expressing ourselves a little different.

The way it works in this case is that I come to your site to signup for a site, and I am during the signup presented with the two domain names to choose from, and I choose to make my domain name site1.com and site joe so the entire URL would be site1.com/joe.

Next John comes along, and he prefers the second domain therefore he chooses the second domain and now his site is site2.com/john.

That would basically how it would work.

Is this also your understanding?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• clas-web
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for quick reply. It may be that I can’t do what I want with this plugin. I may need the domain mapping plugin.

I want to be able to create sites whose url is just the domain name (e.g. http://www.domain1.com, http://www.domain2.com) as well as sites that have site names appended to domain name (e.g. http://www.domain1.com/site1, http://www.domain2.com/site2).

Currently with this plugin it looks like I can only use one domain name without a path. I see no way to create sites without paths at other domain names. Hope this makes sense.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi marpa,

Yeh I think I know what you mean and to achieve it you would need this plugin and the domain mapping plugin too.

That way if I come to your site and start a blog i can have domain1.com/thepath if I want or if I say I have my own domain name and I want to use it instead then I can i.e. thepath.com (I wish I had that domain).

Remember that to use domain mapping your hosting needs to have a dedicated IP….some shared hosts dont allow you a dedicated IP so worth checking that out.

Cheers

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marpa,

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated in my effort to help resolve questions/issues.

ThePath is also correct that the Domain Mapping plugin should also be incorporated into what you want to be doing there.

That should so it unless you are having specific issues with implementing these plugins, then another ticket specifically addressed at those issues would be the protocol to follow.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.