sites created with prosites can't open

Hello good day,
Please am having challenges with my setup.
Sites created with prosite can't load, instead it shows a 404 error.
But sites that manually added dispalys.
Please I need help.

• Rupok

Hi Dennis,

I'm so sorry to hear the inconvenience you are having. I just created a subsite with Pro Sites in my test multisite but I could access that subsite without any issue. So I think this is your site specific issue.

Can you please tell us what type of subsites your Multisite has? Are those sub-directory subsites or sub-domain subsites? If sub-domain subsites, can you please make sure you have wildcard subdomain created perfectly on Domain Control Panel? (I assume wildcard is created perfectly if you have subdomain subsite as you confirmed that you can access manually created subsites, but I still need to confirm). How are you creating your subsites manually? From "Network Admin > Sites > Add New" or do you to do any other steps while creating your subsites manually? Do you have proper codes added in your ".htaccess" and "wp-config.php" file as shown in "Network Admin > Settings > Network Setup" section? Please send us as much details as possible, that will facilitate the troubleshooting process.

However, I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Dennis

Thanks for reply.
      I have created a wildcard subdomain and my subsites are sub-domain.
      I manually create by doing this "Network Admin > Sites > Add New"
      The previous subsites are created long time ago is working, but the recenly created once ain't working, those created manually and via prosite.

"Do you have proper codes added in your ".htaccess" and "wp-config.php" file as shown in "Network Admin > Settings > Network Setup" section? " YES

I have enabled support access.
      Don't know it's ok to share my cpanel login details here for you to check the cpanel?

• Dennis

Thanks for reply.
    I have created a wildcard subdomain and my subsites are sub-domain.
    I manually create by doing this "Network Admin > Sites > Add New"
    The previous subsites are created long time ago is working, but the recenly created once ain't working, those created manually and via prosite.

"Do you have proper codes added in your ".htaccess" and "wp-config.php" file as shown in "Network Admin > Settings > Network Setup" section? " YES

I have enabled support access.
    Don't know it's ok to share my cpanel login details here for you to check the cpanel?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dennis!

Thanks for granting access.

I checked the site and I can see that there is currently a main site and seven sub-sites. None of these sub-sites load for me and in all cases the same "Name not resolved" error is returned. I also tried to visit some other "randomly generated" non-existing sub-domains and none of them worked as well while instead they should load the main site of your setup (or with Pro Sites enabled, it should be the "create new blog" page).

That would mean that the "wildcard" setup is not working properly. I would indeed like to check the domain configuration then but it wouldn't be safe to post cpanel login details here. However, since the support access to your site is active, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page and put cPanel login information into the text field in the "Support Access" box (and save it). It will not be posted here and we'll be able to see it only after accessing your site.

Let me know when you are ready to preceed please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dennis!

Thanks for letting me access your cPanel account.

I checked it and I noticed that you created the "wildcard sub-domain". Since the DNS didn't include any wildcard record this didn't work. That's because first the DNS must be able to resolve the domain name that's called out and then the name can be processed further.

I have removed the "wildcard subdomain" from you cPanel (in "Subdomains" section) and then using "Advanced DNS Zone editor" I added the "A" record for "*.yourdomain.com" pointing to your dedicated IP.

Before that, I also checked whether the IP is properly pointing to your site. It is, so this should work. Please note however that the DNS change may take quite some time to be properly propagated across the web. Usually, it takes just a couple of hours but can last up to 24 hours (and I've seen cases where it took even up to 72 hours).

Having that said, we now need to wait a while and check sub-sites periodically. I believe it should start running fine within up to 24 hours but in case it didn't change in max 3 days, let me know please (and make sure that support access and cPanel credentials are still available then).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Dennis,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

The other subsites now opens but the newly created website that's created using pro-site do not work.

I just went ahead and inspected your website and still seems to me that all seven subsites are still inaccessible. As it seems we should spare some more time until the wildcard record gets propagated.
    Is there a subsite truly working? Could you please share the URL of it? Please advise!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Rupok

Hi Dennis,

I believe, you will need to add a wildcard subdomain in your Domain Control Panel (from where you purchased your domain).

From whois, I can see that you purchased your domain from here: http://www.psi-usa.info/ So can you please contact them regarding how you can create a wildcard subdomain entry pointing to your main site? To get an idea regarding how to create a wildcard DNS entry, you can check this GoDaddy article: https://uk.godaddy.com/help/setting-up-wildcard-dns-3301

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.