Sites not showing in search results for logged in users

Multisite network
Wp 3.3.1
Multisite Privacy Version 1.1.0

If network settings>blog privacy settings is set to only logged in users to see all blogs for both radio buttons

and
the subsite settings also say
Visitors must have a login - anyone that is a registered user of can gain access

the blogs's posts do not show up in search results.

The only time that they seem to show in site search results is if search engines are allowed to crawl the site. I thought that logged in network users would be able to see the search results.

Can somebody confirm that this is the intended set up( then I'll use a work around to accomplish my goal) or is it a bug?

Thanks.

aecnu

Greetings Atlanta,

This is the exact intended use of these selection made within the plugin.

It would not seem logical that one would mark it so that only logged in users can see something and the search engines can breeze right past it defying that logic and purpose thereof.

However, if the search engines are not allowed to crawl the site then there are no search engine results because that is how one gets into the search engines - crawlers or as also commonly designated spiders or spidering a site.

Cheers, Joe

Atlanta

Hi Joe, I think you misunderstood my question. When I say search results I am not talking about Google's search results, I am talking about network search results from a wide variety of sources such as global site widget, marketpress shortcodes.
    It would "seem logical" that a logged in user can see search results that include a blog that has a privacy setting of allow logged in users to view, and that search engines would not be able to see the results.
    Or if you didn't misunderstand my question can you confirm that the only way that blogs can show up in sitewide search results is that they have to give access to search engines? Or is there a better way to do this?

aecnu

Greetings Atlanta,

You were totally correct that I miss-understood what you meant and thought you meant the search engines specific and not internal searches which to me as with you would not make sense.

Therefore, though it may take a little longer then a normal ticket I am going to contact the developer for Privacy Plugin and see if he can offer a fix where our very own web site searches etc. are not blocked though we have chosen to block the major search engines.

Thank you so kindly Atlanta for taking the time to clarify this obvious unintentional blocking (or I at least think it is unintentional) of our internal search functions.

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings Atlanta,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe