Sitewide Breaks Buddypress Activity Stream

Hello,
I am using the Sitewide Privacy option and if I activate this plugin it messes up Buddypress Activity Streams. I was workign with @masonjames via the live chat and this plugin is the culprit. I can turn off all my plugins and activate this one and it breaks. https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-and-buddypress-for-beginners/?lid=256

I have sitewide settings to be only viewable by logged in users for all blogs.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I did see that in the changelog that there was an issue with BP activity that was addressed in the 1.04 update but I have 1.05 installed and it should have been fixed.

I noticed that the BP Activity seemed to stop around the beginning of July. Could this be related to a 3.2.1 Wordpress Update? I think that is around the time I updated.

Whatever the case may be, when I activate this plugin the Activity stream fails to properly function for the main sitewide feed and the main homepage for groups. Profiles seem to work just fine.

• mrjarbenne
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

When you say the activity stream fails to operate properly, what are you seeing? It seems on my site Blog Posts that are set at anything other than the top privacy setting (googl-able) don't show up in the activity feed, but do show up as Latest Posts in the Blog listing.

Is this a similar symptom, or a separate issue?

WP-MS 3.2.1/BP 1.2.9

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

When I say the activity doesn't show up it doesn't show ANY activity. Comments. Status updates. Group Updates. Nothing makes it into the main activity stream. If I disable all plugins and activate just the Sitewide Privacy options, it breaks. Without it the activity stream works.

• mrjarbenne

That's much more serious than what I'm seeing. In the meantime I'm using this one instead: http://dsader.snowotherway.org/wordpress-plugins/more-privacy-options/, which has fixed my activity stream problems, but it's meaning that the privacy settings are not applying to the activity stream ie: posts from a blog that is private to subscribers still appears on the public activity stream. Although this plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-mpo-activity-filter/ previously worked to rectify this, it doesn't seem to be working in 3.2.1 and 1.2.9. Very frustrating.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks! I will look into the other plugin. I really just need the blogs to be made private with the option for site admin to make public a blog.

I am also just kinda waiting for BP 1.5 to be released. We might use that as an opportunity to transform our little community.

• mrjarbenne

While I'm waiting for the Sitewide Privacy plugin to be fixed, is there a way for me to block the blog excerpt from showing up on the activity stream. I don't mind if the activity feed reflects the that a post has occured, I just want to block the excerpt from showing up so that you need t click on the link to go to the site. From there, This plugin does a great job of blocking you from visiting a blog you are not a member of. http://dsader.snowotherway.org/wordpress-plugins/more-privacy-options/

Perhaps someone more code-adept than I could augment this to kick out nothing, rather than the blog excerpt that appears:

function my_bp_post_excerpt($activity_content, $post, $permalink) {
    if($post->post_excerpt)
    return $post->post_excerpt;
    else
    return $activity_content;
    }
    add_filter( 'bp_blogs_activity_new_post_content', 'my_bp_post_excerpt', 1, 3 );

Got that from here: http://bp-tricks.com/snippets/code/custom-excerpt-activity-stream-blog-posts/

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I would like to point out that this issue is still not resolved. Main Site Activity and Main Group Activity pages do not display properly when using this plugin and setting it to Only Logged in Users can see blogs. When I mention activity, I mean all activity reporting.

Even status updates done on the main Group page is broken as well as the main activity page.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Phil

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Phil,
    I just updated my site to BP 1.5 and it is still an issue.

I ended up just using another plugin - Force User Login - and that worked to provide the closed community I need but doesn't allow me to make some blogs public. So it is not the ideal solution. The Sitewide Privacy plugin is ideal but it breaks the activity feed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am using the BP Corporate theme as well as the Activity Plus plugin. Those seem to be the only that interact with the activity stream.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

I've just done a quick test with the latest versions of this plugin, WordPress Multisite and BuddyPress and the activity stream seems to be working fine.

I'm using the default BuddyPress theme.

Can you reduce your set up to these basics and let me know if you still have an issue?

Thanks,
    Phil

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I should point out that Activity updates occur just fine on MEMBER pages with the plugin enabled.

When viewing the Main Activity Stream for the site it is broken. So for instance http://yoursite.com/activity would not work properly. Also the main group homepage activity stream is broken. It will display group activity on my member profile but not the main group page.

So to recap, with Sitewide Privacy turned on Only Member Page Activity Streams work. All other Stream Updating seems broken at the site level and Main Group Page Level.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

OK.... Upon further testing the Sitewide Privacy Plugin only seems to work with the default theme.

I tried BP Corporate from here as well as the new Frisco theme which both seem to break the SiteWide Privacy Plugin on my setup for some reason.

I am wondering if it is just my setup or if there are real theme compatibility issues with this plugin? On your setup did you try other themes or only the default?

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Real Sorry... I have been going back and forth so much today that I think I have the issue pinpointed now...

Try making the main blog that WP and BP operate from Private so that it forces you to login in the Privacy Settings just for the Main blog.

Settings > Privacy > Check Off --- I would like only logged in users to see my blog.

Then try to update the activity feed. That is when it breaks with sitewide privacy options enabled. Turn off Sitewide and it will update normally.

This could be an issue for anyone that would be interested in a Privacy plugin since our interest in the plugin would most likely be for privacy of the community.

I am going to assume this is some type of issue with BP and Sitewide Privacy Plugin not liking the Privacy setting and it triggers a permission issue or something with the Activity feed for the main site.

• mrjarbenne

I've got what seems to be the same setup. At one time I attempted to use a plugin called Private Buddypress, setting the Sitewide Privacy to public, then applying that plugin, but I've since found a better solution. Place this code snippet in your functions.php file in your BP theme:

function sh_walled_garden()
    {
    	global $bp;

if( bp_is_register_page() || bp_is_activation_page() )
    		return;

if( ! bp_is_blog_page() && ! is_user_logged_in() )
    		bp_core_redirect( $bp->root_domain .'/'. BP_REGISTER_SLUG );
    }
    add_action( 'get_header', 'sh_walled_garden' );

In Sitewide Privacy, set your main domain (BP domain) to fully public. Then everyone can see your main page (static text or explanation of your community), but the walled_garden function blocks access to all other pages on the network.

This should close down your site from the public.

I will admit I am using the dsader version of the privacy settings (an mu-plugin that seemed more stable when we first found this glitch), along with the MPO Filter for Buddypress plugin to make the activity stream sync more appropriately with the privacy settings. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-mpo-activity-filter/

This plugin hasn't been updated for a while, but seems to work, and was built with the wpmu plugin in mind.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I actually have a variety of plugins installed. And everything is up to date.
    Akismet
    Anthologize
    BigBlueButton
    BP Group Documents
    Buddypress
    BP Activity Plus
    Buddypress Docs
    BP Group Calendar
    BP Moderation
    Content Monitor
    Easy Blogging
    Limit Blogs Per User
    Multisite Plugin Manager
    New Blog Templates
    NextGEN Gallery
    Sitewide Privacy Options (Disabled)
    Force User Login (Enabled)
    Status
    WP Polls

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Thanks for the screen capture - that's great! What connection do you have by the way? Seems much faster than mine, I'm jealous...

I've just managed to replicate so I'll ping the developer and see if we can narrow down the cause and get a fix for you.

Cheers,
    Phil

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I suspect it has more to do with BP than the plugin. I want to say it was related to the BP 1.2.?? update that occurred over this past summer. At least that was when I noticed the issue.

I'd love a fix but this may be something related to BP that changed right before the 1.5 update.

Thank you very much for looking into this.
    -Chris

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

AWESOME! Just updated and tested. Great job and speedy response once problem was fully explained with the screen capture.

Thank you very much. This plugin totally makes the blogging portal we have for students work with the flexibility we need.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.