Slide In: Related problems – not found or same article

I’ve just tried to use Slide In with related posts. On my site it seemed to have problems with Floating Social (appear s behind it), but since it covers the same area, I just disabled Floating Social.

I really like the idea of related, but

1) It seems to not find posts with the same tags even when there are many.

2) I then switched to find related on categories, which is not as nice as tags. But it also shows the same post as the user is viewing, which is fairly weird.

3) The Google+1 symbol floats through the screen when the post start (on the latest Chrome, Windows 7)

The site is stgsys.net (I tried setting it on the discussion editor – but it can’t find Slide In the list of installed plugins)

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

I tested this live on my lab site and here are the results

1) It seems to not find posts with the same tags even when there are many.

Works fine for me.

2) I then switched to find related on categories, which is not as nice as tags. But it also shows the same post as the user is viewing, which is fairly weird.

Works fine for me with no posts duplicated

3) The Google+1 symbol floats through the screen when the post start (on the latest Chrome, Windows 7)

That appears fine too.

Screenshot attached.

However on your site, I see some javascript errors which might be causing these issues.

Can you please test for a plugin/theme conflict using the attached screenshot and test it with the default theme with other plugins disabled ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• starglider
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,

Switching to the default WP theme solves problems with tags and category. Trying both WooTheme’s Inspire and Definition causes the problems.

I couldn’t find a plugin conflict that fixed the Google+1 floater problem. But I might have missed something there.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for writing back.

Perhaps those themes are overriding some function in the plugin now allowing it to show the right posts using tags and categories.

Did you try and get in touch with the theme support once to see if they have got any views regarding the same ?

I am going to test it now with those themes on my lab site. Will report soon.

Cheers, PC

• starglider
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I was able to solve the problem for categories and tags.

On the Inspire Menu, Theme Options, Subscribe&Connect Tab, Setup there is a “Enable Related Posts” checkbox. If it is enabled, it causes the problems I described above with both Categories and Tags for related posts.

Still getting the floating Google+1, though…

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

On the Inspire Menu, Theme Options, Subscribe&Connect Tab, Setup there is a “Enable Related Posts” checkbox. If it is enabled, it causes the problems I described above with both Categories and Tags for related posts.

That is great. That is same kinda feature and that is why it might be conflicting.

I am still not able to download anything from woothemes as my IP is unable to reach them for some reasons.

Can you please give me a link to your site ?

Also,

Just to make sure, did you check if there is any custom css in the theme settings which you might have put, causing conflict ?

I couldn’t find a plugin conflict that fixed the Google+1 floater problem. But I might have missed something there.

I hope you have already checked that with all the plugins disabled ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya,

But I have turned off the social sites on Slide In – I think it looks better on the Floating Social.

That is indeed correct, its more easier to share it via the sidebar.

Glad that the issue is deemed resolved.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.