Sliders & Responsive Layout in Scribe

First of all I want to say that it has been amazing working with all the WPMU Plugins and the Upfront builder.

But now I have run into two minor issues on a page (http://www.norbert-schmelzer.at/region/).

The page is a elongated version of the 'Services' page. This is especially visible in the Responsive layout. Where I have started to add more elements of the same sort, I cannot arrange them in Responsive Mode (see Screenshot). The following items are fine however.

Another minor issues are the 'Larger Images' I have linked to the individual slides. They won't open on a single click. However you can open them via right-clicking 'Open in another...'

Many thanks in Advance & Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Hans

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans Nittnaus,

Glad you're enjoying it so far! The site looks great by the way :slight_smile:

I'll start with the images not opening in another tab issue.

You will want to change the link type to "external link" in that case and then paste in the url of the image. For example:

I've done that now for the lighthouse picture. First click "more" then select the link type and make sure you select "Blank" instead of "Self", so it opens in a new tab. If you have any trouble doing that with the rest of the slide images just let me know :slight_smile:

Where I have started to add more elements of the same sort, I cannot arrange them in Responsive Mode (see Screenshot). The following items are fine however.

Yes, the regions can't be re-arranged for different responsive views; however, you can hide specific elements:

What I'm thinking we could do here is hide the elements that are out of order on mobile/tablet then create a new region that includes them, but hide that on desktop. We would need to use some custom CSS to hide in on desktop but that is easily done and we can help with that. How does that method sound? While being able to re-order the regions would be idea, it is also quite complex as it means re-ordering the HTML on the page, but just adding responsive CSS. I'll pass that onto our dev team though as a feature request :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Hans Nittnaus

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for the fast response!

I am perfectly fine with the second fix for reordering the regions. Would you provide the needed custom CSS? I am just starting to familiarize with responsive design tbh.

For the sliders I would have hoped for a solution similar to the way the 'Larger image' link works on images. For most of the slides there are hi-res images on the server and I would really like to show those to my visitors.

Another slightly annoying issue are the hyperlinks in the image captions (tough not in the sliders' captions). In Upfront they are displayed as desired. Whereas outside of the editor the words before the initially linked word ('Photo' in this example) are also part of the link.
    If not fixable, I could also live with that, as it is only a minor issue.

Cheers,
    Hans

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans,

Very strange, I tested the "larger image" option on my site and it works as expected, even in a slider. I didn't realize that is what you were using before.

Same with the caption linking problem, I'm not able to replicate that.

Do you mind sending in your FTP so we can investigate further?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

I may need to ask one of our Upfront developers to have a look here.

I am perfectly fine with the second fix for reordering the regions. Would you provide the needed custom CSS? I am just starting to familiarize with responsive design tbh.

Yes I can provide the CSS, we'll need to setup the regions first though, do you mind if I do that? I'll explain what I did afterwards.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans,

Thanks for sending that in.

Can you check it in responsive layout now? It should be in the right order :slight_smile:

I added this CSS to your global theme CSS:

/* hide Hanglagen double region on desktop */

@media screen and (min-device-width: 1080px) {
          #upfront-region-container-tilitali2 {
              display: none;
          }
      }

As for the Larger Image issue, I've confirmed with the developer that it is a validation bug related to Upfront. It's been reported now and should be fixed in the next update :slight_smile: in the meantime you can use the method I mentioned above as a workaround.

Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
      Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.