Slow loading and high CPU when posting/uploading images etc

On 2 of my sites that are hosted with WPMU DEV, whenever I create a post the post takes a long time to submit & the CPU hits 100%.

Also on the same 2 sites, when uploading images to media library with Smush enabled, it can take 5 - 8 minutes to upload just 5 images and also the CPU hits 100% too.

We narrowed the creating posts issue down to Smartcrawl plugin, de-activating it and creating posts then submits in about 1 second with CPU of around 25%, but as soon as smartcrawl is enabled, then posts can take upwards of 6 - 10 seconds and the CPU hits 100%.

++++id.com

++++++eller.online

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Wayne

I have checked by disabling smartcrawl and still can see sometimes the CPU usages goes to 100%. So can't confirm that smartcrawl is causing this. I have checked on smart*******.online site FYI.

As I am not sure if this is a live site, so couldn't run a full plugin conflict test. Would you please disable all plugins and then enable one by one, each time create at least 5 posts and check the CPU usage. Thus you can be sure exactly which plugin is causing this. You need to activate default them as well.

Otherwise, you can create a test site on our hosting, migrate one of those affected site into that hosting and let us know so we can do some extensive testing on it. You can use our shipper pro plugin to migrate.

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Wayne
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hmmm... I'm not sure when did you test on that smart****** site. Since its a multisite, it might be that other subsite are using it at that time... Perhaps testing on another single site is easier to try... Testing on smart****** with plugin conflict test is almost impossible as it will affect the entire network.

Actually yesterday i reported that there is another site has the same issue. iq***.com
    This site is more easy to test as is a single site, less traffic and lesser plugins installed.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Wayne

In order to better troubleshoot this without worrying about the live installations, can you please re-sync the staging site of the iq***.com site and let us know here when this is done, so we can perform tests in that environment instead? :slight_smile:

Thank you,
    Dimitris

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Wayne!

Thank you for setting up the staging site. I performed extensive tests to check for the issues you mentioned but haven't managed to reproduce them. Publishing posts takes around the same amount of time (couple of seconds), both with default editor and with Divi. Mostly the CPU usage doesn't go to 100%, though the statistics are combined for both the production and staging sites. I ran the tests with both SmartCrawl enabled and disabled and the differences weren't as significant as you mentioned.

As for Smush, the time it takes to upload an image depends mostly on the number of image sizes enabled on the site and set in Smush to be processed (please see Smush Pro >> Bulk Smush -> Automatic Smush section). As the note there tells us:

Every time you upload an image to your site, IQKid generates a resized version of that image for every default and/or custom image size that your theme has registered. This means there are multiple versions of your images in your media library.

So when you upload an image, it gets processed locally to create multiple sized versions. In case of IQKid there are 11 sizes plus the original one, which makes it 12 images saved on upload. It's not uncommon to see more sizes on some sites. This means that whenever you upload one image, in reality 12 images (on IQKid) are sent to our server for smushing and then downloaded back. We use a distributed network of servers for Smush to make the round-trip time as small as possible from all over the world.

If you can provide us with a staging site of the multisite, we'd like to test that also, as right now we didn't detect anything abnormal. Maybe it's different or more noticable on multisite.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.