Slow site caused by poll() event - out of my depth!

Hi

I've noticed my site running slowly recently and asked my webhost to have a look for any processes running in the background that may be slowing it down. They said it is likely to be related to what the index.php file is doing. After checking exactly what calls and process the index page was doing they identified that in the following two processes, one is taking a rather long time 4.7 seconds.

09:28:18.007859 recvfrom(5, 0x5d3ef88, 5, 0, 0, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable) <0.000009>
09:28:18.007895 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}], 1, 5000) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLIN}]) <4.749779>
09:28:22.757759 recvfrom(5, "", 5, 0, NULL, NULL) = 0 <0.000031>

I do not know where to begin in understanding this or fixing it.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Justin

• Patrick

Hiya @Justin

Welcome to the forums!

Those are server performance indicators, and are not directly related to any specific process, much less a specific plugin or theme.

I recommend inquiring again with your host to see what their recommendations are.

In the meantime, you can try basic troubleshooting protocol to see if the speed issue is related to a specific plugin/theme. Revert to the default Twenty-Eleven theme and disable all plugins. Check performance.

If the speed is back to normal, re-activate the previous theme and check performance again. If stuff slows down, your theme is the issue. If not, re-activate plugins one by one until you notice things slowing down again.

If, after all that, you discover that no particular theme/plugin (or combination thereof) is causing the slowing down, talk to your webhost again about a better package, or consider a better host.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Justin

Hi Patrick

Thank you for your quick reply.

My Host's feedback on the issue was as follows

<"We had a look at the site for you and it appears to be an issue with your site which is causing the problem. I have uploaded a phpinfo.php file which loads fine, so points us in the direction of your site specifically what the index.php file is doing.

I would recommend you have a look at these and see if you can improve them. I can see this is a wordpress site, so would recommend you contact Wordpress with this information and see if they can provide further assistance and improvements."

So they seem pretty sure its worpress related - does that sound likely?

In the meantime I will try your plugin and theme disabling suggestion

Thanks

Justin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.