Slow site even after running all of the recommended fixes

Thank you for the great product. I was easily able to install it, download the recommend plugins and use your bulk tool to fix my image sizes. All of that being said I am still seeing a download time of 4 - 7 seconds on my site and it just feels slow as I move around. Do you have any other step by step (I am new at this) guidelines for speeding up a site? The page I am having the most trouble with is http://www.gypsysols.com/destinations/

Katya Tsihotska

Hello Grant

Hope you are doing fine today!

(1) optimize images (I thought the smush plugin would do this)

It may relate to the images size. Please, make sure that you turn on "Resize original images" and set at least suggested parameters. Like at the picture below, but you should have your own suggested parameters:

(2) Eliminate render blocking Java

You can resolve it using Hummingbird. Go to the Hummingbird > Minification and set needed configuration for each file. But be careful with "Footer" configuration, it may break your site layout. The best way is to do it for each file separately and check if everything going fine with your site.

(3) Prioritize visible content

This score is very hard to improve unless you have custom-coded your theme and plugins with these optimizations in mind from the beginning. More about this issue you can read here: https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/PrioritizeVisibleContent

(3) leverage browser caching (I thought hummingbird or WP Rocket would do this)

You can set Browser caching using Hummingbird. Just go to the Hummingbird > Browser Caching. Also, there you can read some explanation and recommendation how to setup Browser Caching on your server. Usual, it recommends setting expiry from 7 days to 1 year.

(4) enable compression (smush?)

Probably it means GZIP compression. You can set it up with Hummingbird too (Hummingbird > GZIP Compression). There you also can find some explanation how to enable compression on your server.

Finally, you can get more information about performance issues in Hummingbird > Performance Report. Just click on one of the recommendations to show more information about it.

Please, let me know if you have another issues or questions related to this thread, I'll always be happy to help you.

Best regards,
    Katya

Grant

Hi Katya,

Thank you for the reply. I was able to run hummingbird again and got slightly better results. I do still have a couple of questions.

1) How do I find my recommended parameters for the image size?
    2) I have the browser caching set on hummingbird but most websites do not seem to recognize it as they say I still need to do browser caching.

THANK you for your help. This dashboard has made fixing my site A LOT easier.

Katya Tsihotska

Hi Grant

How are you today?

1) How do I find my recommended parameters for the image size?

Go to the Media > WP Smush, find in Settings option Resize original images and turn it on. Below you would see the parameters of image scaling. The info about the largest image size is the recommended parameters.

2) I have the browser caching set on hummingbird but most websites do not seem to recognize it as they say I still need to do browser caching.

Is there any notice about errors when you enabling the browser caching? Make sure that module "expires" enabled on your server, also make sure that there are no another plugins that interfering with Hummingbird configuration.
    And take note that browser caching can be enabled only for files stored on your server, you can't control external files.

Best regards,
    Katya

Grant

THANK YOU for your help.. You were right about the caching. I had WB Rocket installed and it was messing everything up. I have fixed that now. For the pictures I am nervous that I have the wrong size in there and I don't want to 'smush' my original pictures until I am sure... I think I might have changed the largest image size manually when I was trying to fix this issue myself, it is currently set at 750x563 does this seem correct? If you don't think it will cause any issues I will activate the 'smush originals' feature and then run the smush again..

Also do you recommend using super smush?

Cory

Yes on the super smush! Just kind of a side note. I love image driven websites, but what I found was I was uploading very large sized files when not needing too. For example I would use a ultrawide HD image for a section on full width stretch. It was easily 2.5mb for that image alone. So I down sized it and use medium compression for JPG. Got it down to 500kb without loosing the quality. SIGNIFICANTLY increased my web load speed.

Katya Tsihotska

Hello Grant

I think I might have changed the largest image size manually when I was trying to fix this issue myself, it is currently set at 750x563 does this seem correct?

It means the largest image size that your plugins and themes intend to use on your site, not the largest image in your media library. Also, you should not worry about your images' proportions, because it is just maximum width and maximum height, not strict set size for all images on your site.

If you don't think it will cause any issues I will activate the 'smush originals' feature and then run the smush again..

Of course, you can do it if you want to be able to restore them at any point. The only issue you can get is your uploads folder size, it would be increased.

Also do you recommend using super smush?

This may increase your page load speed even more. And if you wouldn't be satisfied with the result you could restore original images (if you have "Make a copy of my original images" turned on).

Have a nice day!