slow user sync plugin

Hello,
i'm having problems with the WPMU DEV User Sync. When i try to add or delete a user on the master site it's really slow doing syncronization with other site...i think it depends from the number of sites to syncronize...i've almost 109 sites to sync. Do you have any ideas to speed up the process?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Sinapsi Labs,

hope you're doing good today and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

I have tested User Sync with around 5 websites and I have never dealt with latencies, at least more than couple of minutes. What's the range of your slow synchronization times? Please advise!

As I haven't used it in this scale though, I already pinged the lead dev on this to get some feedback about performance in a scale like your case. As he doesn't seem to be online currently, I will let you know as soon as possible!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Sinapsi Labs,

hope you're doing good today and please excuse my late reply here, it's been quite busy in our forums lately and we're trying to keep up with every single member.

I had some feedback from our devs on this and apart from the initial synchronization which may need some extended time, new users should sync quicker but this is true for more less slave sites I'm afraid. :slight_frown:
    The main problem here is that plugin do not sync users with any kind of background procedures and tries to connect with 1090 sites with a single request and that means a lot of server resources!

Could you please try to raise maximum execution time to an even higher value, like 1200, and give that another try? Here you can find some useful links on how to do so
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Common_WordPress_Errors#Maximum_execution_time_exceeded
    You may need to contact your hosting provider on this though in case you don't have the necessary capabilities.

Finally, please grant us support access to the master site in order to better inspect your server details. You can do so via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin as described here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Sinapsi Labs,

I trust you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I just inspected your installation after you kindly provided support access to us and I think that you will need a better server for your "master" site in order to synchronize so many "slave" sites.
    We will try to improve the plugin to handle large number of connections in the future but I really can't provide any ETA on this.

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Sinapsi Labs!

It's not that you server "is missing something" :slight_smile: The issue here is that that User Sync, as explained by the developer (see here), doesn't perform synchronization "in background" and that means that all the connections to sub-sites from a master site are performed "in one go".

Over a hundred of them is quite a lot and usually there are some limitations on servers that may affect this. A "better server" would in that case would be a server with a config that allows very long timeouts for the scripts, has a fast outbound connection and doesn't have any strict limits on external connections and database connections that can be performed concurrently. That's actually something quite difficult to find out in specs usually as most of providers simply do not disclose such information in their "sales offers" :slight_smile:

I would though start with implementing those changes in configuration that DImitris suggested in his previous post and I think it may also be a good shot to just ask SiteGround tech support reps if they could check server logs for connections to from your (master) site to those sub-sites and see if they could perhaps optimize your server settings.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.