[Smart Crawl] Sitemap throwing 404 error.

My sitemap.xml file is not created there should be a sitemap.xml file in /wp-content/uploads and this folder contains no file.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Niels,

I hope you’re well today!

It looks like the plugin is not able to physically generate the file and usually the most common reason for this are permissions – when WP is not allowed/able to write into the target folder (/wp-content/uploads directly in this case).

Could you please check what is current ownership (user:group) and permissions for the “/wp-content/uploads” folder?

Could you also try creating an empty file named “sitemap.xml” there and then run SmartCrawl crawl and see if the file gets updated or it stays empty?

Unfortunately, I’m not able to access server over (s)FTP as my connections are rejected. That’s most likely due to that white-list feature that is enabled there – but I don’t use any fixed IP so there’s no point in white-listing it as it might get changed at any time.

Therefore could you please check these two things first and let me know what you found?

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Niels
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,

I have disabled the sFTP whitelist temporarily
    1. Using sFTP, I’m able to create a blank sitemap.xml file in /wp-content/uploads
    2. https://www….com/sitemap.xml is not showing this new file
    3. I deactivated sitemap in SmartCrawl and activated again. Not working.
    4. I crawled again
    5. Sitemap not working

Folder ownership = 528 0 (other folders are 528 531)

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Niels

I’m sorry for late response.

Please do not “bump” tickets though – we’re supposed to respond in order from oldest to newest tickets so we could minimize waiting time. “Bumping” makes the ticket marked as newer which actually may cause additional delays as we get to newer tickets later down the line. That’s a sidenote though, for future reference.

As for the issue. I see that sitemap is there now and the site is actually served from our WPMU DEV Hosting. I didn’t notice that before – as FTP credentials that you provided were for some other host. Did you migrate the site meanwhile and/or managed to solve the issue or do you still need assistance?

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.