[smart crawl] Smart Crawl automatic link not working again!

We have found that smart crawl has again deactivated itself. I went and activated it again but rge automatic links does not appear to be working this all started with not being able to delete the none pro version

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Adam
    we had a problem when wordpress upgraded it took a none pr version and left the pro version behind then we could not delete the no pro version.

The guys had to do it via the cpanel then today i looked and it was missing so had to activate it

• John

Adam I have a feeling that they have deleted the pro version all of the key words are there in the smart crawl admin of the normal version they just do not show on the site anywhere I have gone over a number of things and got rid of plugins we do not need. The hosting by site ground covers a lot of server relating SEO for free now
    So having removed plugins we do need we do need the smart crawl pro back working asap Last time this happened we lost all the keywords to re direct please let me know as soon as things are working Regards John

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi John

Thanks for additional explanation.

I checked the site but I see no trace of the same issue that we previously diagnosed. As for removing SmartCrawl/switching to Pro - that shouldn't affect any data and in fact all the terms that should be linked (that you outlined in one of your posts above) are there, properly added to the plugin.

One thing that wasn't right was the Automatic linking set to be case-sensitive while the terms that are added to auto-linking list are not quite consistent with the content - there are some upper-case and some lower-case words that are used in a different (upper/lower) case in content. I switched it off but that didn't help either.

I checked a couple of other things too but to no luck. That said, I've re-opened the ticket that we had opened previously with our developers about it, adding all the updated information about this particular case and they'll look into it. I need their expertise with it so please keep track of this ticket and we'll be updating you on the go as soon as we know more from them.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi John

I just had a message from one of our developers about the free/pro issues that you think that might be related to the issue. There's been an update issued that should prevent such "switching between free/pro" in future and I see that it seems to be already applied to your site. However, how it relatesto the auto-linking (I see it's still not working yet on the site) - it needs additional checks. I'm waiting for more information from him so I'll keep updating you here "on the go".

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi John,

After some further discussion with the devs it seems that there might be some "confusion" in the plugin when it was switching between free and pro and reinstalling Pro version might be enough to help here.

Can you follow below steps to perform re-installation so it keeps all the current settings and has a least of downtime:
    1. Go to plugin page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/smartcrawl-wordpress-seo/ and click on Download Plugin to download it directly
    2. Once it's downloaded unzip the file so you are left with wpmu-dev-seo folder
    3. Rename the folder to something like wpmu-dev-seo_NEW
    4. Upload that folder to your server to /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
    5. In your plugins folder now rename old wpmu-dev-seo to wpmu-dev-seo_OLD
    6. Rename wpmu-dev-seo_NEW back to wpmu-dev-seo
    This way you make sure that the plugin settings are still there and the total downtime of the plugin is just those couple of seconds that it took to rename the folders.

Let us know if everything works after that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• John

Predrag hi thanks for the reply any chance that you can do this last time we had theses issues we lost all the auto links we had made it took us two days to get them back
    Its a bit technical for us

Regards John

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi John,

I see that you have provided our other staff with cPanel access before so I can use that to make the change but before I proceed with that can you please make sure that you have a backup ready just so we stay on the safe side in case that auto links get disappeared, that shouldn't happen but it's better to be safe.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• John

Hi Predrag

We have full backups daily by site ground However, I have a copy of all of the auto links so at least we can put them back manually if needs be.

I have taken away some of the plugins we no longer use my strategy is to end up with just your plugins that I need and use the site ground hosing ones that are suitable

Let me know when completed Many thanks John

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.