Smartcrawl breaking the site visual aspects

Enabling SmartCrawl causes the site css to break and hides some elements from the pages.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tiffany

I hope you're well today and thank you for reaching out to us!

I checked your site and while I can see that some content is missing with SmartCrawl enabled (and that might be caused by some SmartCrawl conflict with some other plugin or a theme) I'm afraid it will be very difficult to diagnose and troubleshoot with a current state of the site.

As you already mentioned during the chat, it's slow. When I was checking it, the back-end was very slow, with frequent "Gateway Timeout"/"Internal server error" errors and there was quite a lot of "mixed content" and "gateway timeout" errors in browser console. I think this should be addressed first as it alone might solve the problem - if it doesn't, it would at least let us work on the site.

I'm nearly sure that with that complex site the server (which, I believe, is a shared hosting account) simply doesn't provide enough resources to handle it properly. I assume moving the site is not an option so some changes would be recommended. Here's what I'd suggest to start with:

There's 50 plugins active currently and some of them are redundant, some are unnecessary and some are just "heavy", so please review them

- plugins such as e.g. Query Monitor, the migration plugin and similar are "once off" plugins and they shouldn't be kept active all the time; they should be enabled only when about to be used so I suggest disabling them

- there are multiple "forms" plugin so please check your forms and try to "narrow it down" to one (max. two) plugin possibly so all the forms would be handled by it, then disable and delete other ones

- see if there are any plugins that are not absolutely necessary and could be removed; disable and remove them

- some of the plugins might have some simpler/lighter alternatives so it would be good to use those alternatives

I believe this is what's "loading" site the most and should be addressed first. It should put less load on the site. Would you be able to do it?

This alone should make the site perform better. I'd then access it again and see what else could be done to speed the site up and investigate SmartCrawl issue again.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tiffany

Thanks for taking care of these plugins and for letting me know.

Raising memory limit to 1024M would be a bit of "overkill" as your server doesn't even allow that much. But indeed, that complex site running on default 40M set by WordPress can "suffer" from it. However, that alone wouldn't "solve the speed problem" - it should make the site perform slightly better and more stable but won't speed it up significantly.

That being said, this suggestion actually helped me deal with SmartCrawl issue: when I checked "wp-config.php" file I noticed that you already tried increasing the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT but that wasn't reflected on the site and WPMU DEV Dashboard ("WPMU DEV -> Support -> System info -> WordPress" at the very bottom) was showing that it's still set to 40M.

That made me a bit suspicious so I checked path and it turned out the the site is in a different folder than the one you suggested during the live chat. This site's WordPress is actually located in "/public_html/wordpress" on server.

So, basically, my colleague during the chat and me earlier on here, we were all working on a site while... we were checking wrong install on a server.

The bottom line is: I already increased WP_MEMORY_LIMIT for you to a reasonable level (there's no need to increase it further) and added back that SmartCrawl define line that's been tested during the chat:

define('SMARTCRAWL_FORCE_REWRITE_TITLE', true);

After clearing cache on site the content got back and it's working now.

However - and I believe this is a "side-effect" of the speed issues - only after disabling the cache entirely it "keeps working". Otherwise, clearing cache brings content back for a while but then it goes away again.

That leads me to a conclusion that there's something interfering with server configuration. I would like to check server config and the database to see if we can improve speed and caching but for this I'd need a bit different kind of access.

I already got FTP and site access but I could use cPanel too as this would let me check (and, possibly, tweak at some aspects) server configuration and also the database. Would you be able to share them?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Please note:

1. If you don't see the content back on site, make sure that you have cleared browser cache or use browser incognito mode

2. Currently the Asset Optimization and Page Cache in Hummingbird are disabled. Could you please keep it that way for now? SmartCrawl is enabled.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tiffany

Thank you for your reply!

That's a bummer... The problem is that apart from what I suggested so far, regarding performance, there's not much else that I could suggest (or that could be done) without checking server configuration and data in the database directly and tweaking them if possible.

This is, unfortunately, something that I cannot check/address having only access to site back-end and FTP (which only gives access to files). The fact that keeping Hummingbird's Page Cache an Asset Optimization enabled affects that issue with SmartCrawl too - is also thing that would require checking the server and the database.

However, if you don't have or can't share cPanel access, maybe you could ask your client to check at least one thing: if there's any server-side cache. Sometimes in cPanel there's an option to enable/disable caching on a server and if so, it would be worth trying to clear it up, disabling it and then settings up Hummingbird's Asset Optimization and Page Caching again.

Please note: without actually testing that, I can't guarantee it will help or even if this is the case. You'd need to test it and see if it makes the site work better or not and if not, change settings back to current state.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.