SmartCrawl breaks VisualComposer

If SmartCrawl is not enabled on a site, Visual Composer works fine. When network enabled, it immediately causes VC to use "backend mode" as default instead of 'classic mode' (visual editor). Also a layerslider shortcode disappears from layerslider field on page editing screen.

To test that, simply try to edit the page on main site of the multisite with and without SmartCrawl enabled.

  • Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

    Hello ingenio,

    Would it be possible to run full plugin conflict test on your staging site as described in getting support manual E. Plugin Conflict Test

    I am asking for that, because I tested VC and LayerSlider with SmartCrawl (same version as on your site) on my lab multisite and I was not able to replicate this issue at all.
    VC loads in backend mode all the time and I am able to add LayerSlider shortcode.
    I also noticed that Backend mode on your site is loading fine for some pages (on main site: Contact, Search listining, Featured Listings) but not for Home Page.
    I enabled debug mode in WP, but nothing was generated, so my suspicion is that there is another plugin involved there.

    kind regards,

  • PG
    • Flash Drive

    Hi Kasia,

    Thank you for looking into this. Since it's a staging site, please feel free to do anything you need, run plugin conflict test etc. I noticed too that this issue happens only on the home page. All settings on the editing page (for the home page) are affected, not only the missing code for the layerslider shortcode, but other default settings as well, for example "show title area" should be "no", etc.

    Also, please note that if you install the previous version of smartcrawl, everything works fine.

    Let me know if you need anything else, thank you so much!

  • Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

    Hello ingenio,

    I narrowed this to Mikado Core - with SmartCrawl enabled and Core plugin disabled VC starts working again correctly on the home page (also "show title area" setting).

    But unlucky I wasn't still able to replicate this issue on my lab site even with theme and Mikado Core - it works without any issues.

    In this case I have to escalate this to Second Line Support (our coding experts) and they will give closer look there.
    If possible I would like to leave your staging site as it is now, so devs will have a clear view on what is happening.

    kind regards,

  • Panos
    • SLS

    Hi ingenio ,

    From description I didn't understand which page this issue is happening. I checked the Home page with and without Smartcrawl active, but I couldn't find any difference. It's a big page and probably missed something there.

    I have installed a beta version of Smartcrawl which solves similar issues with other page builders. I can't verify if it works on your site though. Could you have a look and let me know if issue is still there?


  • PG
    • Flash Drive

    Hi Panos,

    Great job - everything seems to be okay now, I enabled all plugins and checked again and it looks like the smartcrawl Version 2.1.1-beta.3 works!

    What's next? Should I wait until the newer smartcrawl version release which will include this fix?

    Let me know, thank you for all your help!

  • Panos
    • SLS

    Good to know ingenio !

    Yes, these fixes will be included in next release :slight_smile:
    You can use the beta for now and once new release is out you can update plugin.

    Since this was a staging site where I installed it, I'm attaching the beta zip here so you can download quicker and use on your other site.


    • PG
      • Flash Drive

      Hi Panos hop all is well! I am reaching out again and replying to this old thread as it looks like the issue (same as described here) is now back! I have tested it and all works fine up (including) to the version of smart crawl. Any newer version will cause the same issue described here. I have given access to our staging, let me know if you need anything else.

      Thank you in advance!

  • Scott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

    I hope this was not resolved because Smartcrawl continues to conflict with Visual Composer:

    My post on another thread...
    Smartcrawl should be looked into again.

    On every site we manage (including a Multisite network), Smartcrawl has been Removing/Clearing Page Titles & Descriptions (even after set via Page Edit & Quick Edit); in-addition, Smartcrawl has been Causing page Settings to revert to their defaults on some themes (Specifically "The7", "L'bum", "BeTheme" - I have disabled plugins and confirmed Smartcrawl is the issue), AND will "break" Visual Composer on the Backend (screenshots: 7:32.23AM is Smartcrawl Activated on a Multisite, 7:33.26AM is Smartcrawl Deactivated on Multisite, same site/page).

    In-addition, we are not able to set the Title & Description for the Primary Shop page for WooCommerce. Rather, the Shop Page Title ends up displaying the Name of the 1st Product listed on the page.

    Even though Smartcrawl's Role is set for site Editors & up to manage settings, Smartcrawl does not appear anywhere in any sub-site admin (not in the top bar or side bar).

    Unsure why this is occurring, but have had to revert back to Yoast & AIO SEO Pack; which I'd rather not do.

    Please advise, thanks.

    WP v.4.9.3
    Smartcrawl v.
    WooCommerce v.3.2.6
    PHP v.7.0

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.