SmartCrawl google & bing verifications & Title / Meta settings

Hi
I am config SmartCrawl at my sub-directories based multisite. I have several questions about how to proceed:

a) This may be a silly question, but just to make sure: at Step 2, In the google & bing site verification code fields I assume the code to enter is, in the first case, the one that appears on the html google site verification html file without the "google-site-verification:" part, that is, just the code itself without those words, and in the case of Bing site verification, the digits & letters that appear between the <user> </user> tag; isn't it?

b)After configuring the base settings in the Network Admin site, I have turned WDS_SITEWIDE to "false" to activate the per-site access to SmartCrawl settings (I have access to every sub-site). Now I want to define some SmartCrawl settings on every site (custom keywords). Should I re-enter Google & Bing verification codes and Moz ID / Key for every sub-site? in that case, should I use the codes used for the main site or request a new verification for each subdirectory at google bing webmaster tools ?

c) Which is the difference between adding the verification code to all pages or to home page?

d) In Step 3: Title & Meta; is it recommended to check "No index" and "Now follow" options also in Project Categories, Project Tags, Post Categories, Post Tags, Author Archive, Data Archives, Search Page and 404 Page to avoid duplicate content appearing in search results.

e) I don't understand what "Author Archive / Search Page / 404 Meta Description" refers to... what kind of info should I enter there?

I hope they're not too many questions : )
Thank you

PS: I have enabled support staff access

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Pablo,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

SmartCrawl is putting a "virtual" meta-tag into your site's header so just copy the "value" of Google/Bing given verification meta-tag there. The plugin will not add "permanent" meta-tag into your theme but this should work just fine.

The idea for using SmartCrawl "per-site" is to give sites' admins more control over their SEO. As you've probably already noticed you are able to define which options would be available to them. Therefore, if you're allowing them to create their own sitemaps, they'll have to configure verification again and the codes should be separate - specific to this sub-sites.

It shouldn't make much difference in most cases whether the verification code is added to all pages or just a home page. I personally add those to all pages which can be useful especially in case of Multisite sub-folder setup where sub-sites URL's actually look like URLs on the very same page. This avoids confusion on Google/Bing side, I think.

I think it would be better to check "No Index" and "No follow" on "Project Tags" etc pages. That's because these are "archive" pages and this means that you can see links to the very same posts in several places, for example on "tags" listing page and "category" listing page. Therefore, it wouldn't be good to index those pages many times because it would result in so called "duplicate content" which is not recommended by search engines.

#5.

- "Author archive" is a page listing all posts by given author
    - "Search page" is a page listing all search results of search performed on your site
    - "404" is an error page if post/page wasn't find on your site

Therefore, those titles and descriptions are <title> and <meta name="description"> tags' values that should be used for these pages.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions on this, I'll be glad to assist you!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Pablo Culebras

Hi Adam, thanks for your reply : )

Regarding #5 though, I fear I still don't understand... do you mean I have to write literally <meta name="description"> in the Author / Date / etc Archive Meta Description field? I expected something like %%author_description%% or similar... so writing <meta name="description"> sounds strange to me.. as for the Author / Date / etc Archive Title field I have currently %%name%% | %%sitename%%; do you mean I should write <title> instead on that field?

In project categories title and description should I enter %%category%% | %%sitename%% and %%category_description%%, as for Post Categories?

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Pablo!

do you mean I have to write literally <meta name="description"> in the Author / Date / etc Archive Meta Description field? I expected something like %%author_description%% or similar... so writing <meta name="description"> sounds strange to me.. as for the Author / Date / etc Archive Title field I have currently %%name%% | %%sitename%%; do you mean I should write <title> instead on that field?

No, that's not necessary You will want to write only the title/description content there and plugin will automatically put that into the <title>/<meta> tags on yor site.

For example, for "Author Meta Description" field you could write something like:

"Check out the best articles from %%username%%"

The "%username%" will be then replaced with Author name depending on which author archive is being displayed and in your site's html source code you should see something like this:

<meta name="description" content="Check out the best articles from John Doe">

The same rule applies to other aforementioned titles/meta descriptions. The "%%category%%" etc are just placeholders that would be automatically replaced by plugin with proper content (category name for %%category%%, username for %%username%%, name of your site for %%sitename%% etc).

i hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Pablo Culebras

Ok. So the verification code is the same as the one I entered in the main site "google site verification code" and "bing site verification codes" right? I don't see how to request a different code for every sub-site: web master tools keeps giving me back the same code for the sub-sites as the one I entered for the main site. I guess it sees the sub-folder as just that: a sub-section of the same site, and so it doesn't generate an specific verification code for it... am I right?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Pablo!

I guess it sees the sub-folder as just that: a sub-section of the same site, and so it doesn't generate an specific verification code for it... am I right?

I understand that your site is running on a sub-folder WordPress install instead of sub-domain, am I correct? In such case you're right and Google will most likely consider those sub-sites as parts of the same page. Therefore code would be the same.

Best regards,
    Adam