[SmartCrawl] Internal Server Error (500) when SmartCrawl is enabled

(I've been trying to work through this issue with Live Chat, but I seem to keep being disconnected. I don't think it's my own internet causing the problem, so I'm not sure what the issue is with that.)

I just installed the SmartCrawl plugin and it seems great, but I quickly found that when the plugin is enabled, I am unable to edit any Pages of my website. They come up with a blank page, and the console logs this error: "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php:1"

Oddly enough, I don't receive this issue locally on an almost identical copy of the website. I also found that this issue only begins occurring when enabling the "Page Analysis" or "Readability Analysis" settings. Would appreciate any help I can get!

• Dimitris

Hello there JoeyZio,

hope you're doing well and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

"Page Analysis" and "Readability Analysis" can indeed become resource-hungry modules. We had some issues with that in the past, these have been resolved though and they shouldn't cause so much load.

The best way to narrow this down is to create a staging environment, meaning a complete and exact copy of this website into the same server as the live site, using a separate database.

In this staging site, I would first try to change the current theme, just in case, it messes with that. Can you also let me know if this a completely custom theme or is it a known one?

You could also increase some PHP variables in the live server, as it seems that it has some low values. In order to do so, please access your server through (S)FTP, edit the wp-config.php file and insert the following lines just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
    define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
    set_time_limit(600);

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• JoeyZio

Thanks for your help thus far! Sadly, the issue is still persisting.

In this staging site, I would first try to change the current theme, just in case, it messes with that. Can you also let me know if this a completely custom theme or is it a known one?

I'm using a completely custom-written theme. I have this theme running on my local instance of the website (which is set up with the same plugins and content as this production server), and it works with no issue there.

I tried adding the config variables that you mentioned to the production server, but no dice. I verified that they had taken effect through the WPMU DEV System Info page as well. The only change is that the loading bar spun a bit longer before stopping with a blank page.

• Nastia

Hello JoeyZio

Hope you're doing well!

Please enable WordPress debug, add the following lines inside the wp-config.php file

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Please make sure that you insert these lines above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ in the wp-config.php file.

Edit the page one more time to replicate the 500 error. This way all errors will be saved in the debug.log file inside the /wp-content/ directory. Please let us know the errors from the debug.log file.

Looking forward to your reply!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Dimitris

Hello there JoeyZio,

hope you're doing well and don't mind our late reply here.

The reported function is part of PHP since v.4.
    http://php.net/manual/en/function.mb-detect-encoding.php
    For this to work, you will also need the mbstring PHP extension too though.

mbstring is a non-default extension. This means it is not enabled by default. You must explicitly enable the module with the configure option. See the Install section for details.

http://php.net/manual/en/mbstring.installation.php

Could you please contact your hosting provider about this?
    They should be able to install and enable this for you in no time or provide you with a way for doing so via their server panel.
    Let us know if that made any difference. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.