SmartCrawl Meta Description Fiels

Is it possible to disable the SmartCrawl meta description field so I can leave the description blank? I want Google to pull info from my page to put in the meta description

• Dimitris

Hello Michael

SmartCrawl is doing that by default, as it uses the %%excerpt%% macro in page's description.

By browsing all available macros we can see that:

%%excerpt%% - Post/page excerpt (or auto-generated if it does not exist)

Thank you,
    Dimitris

EDIT:
    Please keep in mind to post any support-related questions to
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/support/#get-support ("Technical Support")
    instead of Members forums. I've already move this thread to proper section. :slight_smile:

• Nahid

Hey Michael !
    Hope you are doing well today!

Unfortunately, there's no way of keeping the meta description fields completely blank out of the box. The developers didn't intentionally include this into the plugin because keeping the meta description fields blank falls into bad SEO practices.

If you still want to proceed and keep the meta descriptions blank, there's a workaround using custom code. Please try adding the following snippet of code in your theme's (more preferably, child theme's) functions.php file:

add_filter( 'wds_metadesc', '__return_false' );

Alternatively, you can also add the code in a mu-plugin. That'll require you to paste the mentioned code in a PHP file that ends with the extension .php, e.g. "anyname.php". The mentioned code should have a "<?php" definition at the start of the file. This PHP file should be placed in {your root WordPress folder}/wp-content/mu-plugins (you'll need to create the folder named "mu-plugins" if it is not there already).

As long as that code exists in the site, SmartCrawl Pro will render the meta description field as blank, i.e. like the following:

<meta name="description" content="" />

Hope this helps. Let us know if this works for you. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.