SmartCrawl Network Settings Issue

I’ve disabled “Content Analysis” in the network settings, but still, that’s enabled on my subsite and for disabling that, I had to enable “Settings” menu for subsite from the network admin. Is it supposed to behave like this or is this a bug?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Avatar

I hope you’re well today!

This is an expected outcome if you’re not using SmartCrawl in “Sitewide mode”.

The “Sitewide mode” can be enabled/disabled on “Network Admin -> SmartCrawl -> Settings” page. If it’s enabled, then settings made on “network level” will automatically be applied to all subsites. If “sitewide mode” is disabled, think of network-level settings such as “Builtin modules” configuration as it was “setup of default configuration template”.

Let me give an example

– SmartCrawl’s in Sitewide mode and you enable “Page Analysis” “readability analysis” in network settings

– they are automatically enabled on all sub-sites

– now you disable those modules but site’s still in “Sitewide mode” – they got disabled everywhere

– SmartCrawl is in sitewide mode and you enable “Page Analysis” and “readablitiy analysis” in network settings

– they are enabled automatically on all sub-sites

– now you disable sitewide mode and then disable “Page Analysis” and “Readability Analysis” after that <- they do stay enabled on existing sub-sites until you disable them there manually

I think that what happened here was that at some point those module were enabled with “sitewide” mode enabled and after that sitewide mode was disabled or, alternatively, they were simply enabled separately on sites – but still, if SmartCrawl is not in sitewide mode, they need to be separately disabled.

Best regards,

Adam

• The Bug Hunter

Hi Adam Czajczyk

The issue is a bug in the smartcrawl due to upgrades of the plugin and my network/subsite settings.

I was on chat yesterday for a long time. Support confirmed that i was an unexpected behaviour. He said wpmudev tech heroes should look into it.

I can start explaining all again. But I guess that the chat logs and the staging and live site access should do.

Please fix or suggest a solution, this is going on to long, in in the recent days I invested time to pinpoint the issue. And it seems only devs can solve it.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Avatar,

I was doing some additional testing and the option seems to be working in a similar way like WordPress plugins in network installations.

If you enable X plugin on Subsite first, then enable it on network mode and disable it in the network it will still be active on subsites.

The same is currently happening with SmarCrawl network settings, if you allow certain options to be changed in subsite, and they are changed on subsite they will stay at the current setup even when you hide the option.

I can see how this could be confusing so I’ve passed all the information from my testing to devs to check it out further.

Best regards,

Predrag

• The Bug Hunter

Hi Predrag Dubajic

Looking forward to hearing their solution. I hope to get a real solution in the near future since otherwise I will be forced to disable the plugin. Due to subsites who can not even create a sitemap because of wrong settings. Smartcrawl is sometimes “locked” in certain settings.

Furthermore, do I definitely see bugs in changing settings of Smartcrawl in some subsites?

Today I worked on a subsite which was imported and had Yoast installed. I am not able to even change any of the Smartcrawls settings.

Yes, it seems a conflict in the Smartcrawl, like recently Smartcrawl only can be network activated, and some subsites have trouble with it.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Avatar,

Due to subsites who can not even create a sitemap because of wrong settings. Smartcrawl is sometimes “locked” in certain settings.

Could you elaborate this a bit more as I’m not completely sure what do you mean by “locked” and what exactly is happening?

Furthermore, do I definitely see bugs in changing settings of Smartcrawl in some subsites?

Today I worked on a subsite which was imported and had Yoast installed. I am not able to even change any of the Smartcrawls settings.

Which subsite is in question here, I would like to check it out and see if I can replicate this on my installation?

When you say that you can’t change any of the settings, are you saying that the toggle buttons are not working or when you save the changes it doesn’t apply them?

Best regards,

Predrag

• The Bug Hunter

Hi Predrag Dubajic

Locked in some settings means that these subsites are having settings, but you can not change them. Although network settings are set to change them. You always land on the WP settings page after saving the newly chosen subsite settings.

I explained to chat before, they found the same on my staging and live site.

When you say that you can't change any of the settings, are you saying that the toggle buttons are not working or when you save the changes it doesn't apply them?

Indeed you can toggle, but you cant save the new settings on those subsites.

In my opinion, it all started when I noticed that Smartcrawl became a network only plugin. Maybe its to avoid other conflicts, but I notice issues in an older subsite, where the Smartcrawl was subsite activated at first. Like belgian********.***.city

In the new subsite, a Duplicator file was installed. That site had Yoast activated, and I de-installed Yoast and could not change any of my Smartcrawl settings. Not even a sitemap is being generated. Subsite is Katrien.****.city

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Avatar,

I’m afraid that I’m not still completely sure on this part:

Locked in some settings means that these subsites are having settings, but you can not change them. Although network settings are set to change them. You always land on the WP settings page after saving the newly chosen subsite settings.

I explained to chat before, they found the same on my staging and live site.

I checked the entire chat and I can see that it was mostly discussed about readability and SEO columns showing even though it was disabled in network settings.

That is the issue that I confirmed previously and created a bug report for it, but as I understand you’re having another issue with saving settings, or this is about the same thing?

If this is a separate issue could you grab a video with steps on what you are doing so I could better understand this?

Indeed you can toggle, but you cant save the new settings on those subsites.

I have setup my site the same way as your screenshots and try changing the settings on a subsite with a subsite admin account and it saved properly for me, and I had no issues with creating a sitemap.

Can you tell me which options exactly are not working and can you grant support access to network site that has those subsites you mentioned?

Best regards,

Predrag

• The Bug Hunter

Hi Predrag Dubajic

Smartcrawls is broken on my network. I guess with Smartcrawls latest update.

You can access my network.

– No Samrtcrawl sitemaps were working in my subsites.

– Smartcrawl Settings are not able to save in the tested sites.

In the subsite that WPMUDEV team imported a new wp site with Yoast activated you get even a sitemap with my wpmudev language string in it, and not working.

The only option I see is disabling Smartcrawl.

The screen-recording https://drive.google.com/file/d/15jWMocHjQ6C-7lnRpOzLEh7N3h2tRky0/view?usp=sharing

I ‘ll wait for your solution,

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Avatar

As for the sitemap on “katrina” sub-site. I checked this and initially I got an error in browser console related to browser not being able to properly read sitemaps style file due to some restrictions.

Once I disabled including stylesheet and enabled it back in SmartCrawl’s “sitemap” option on that sub-site, the sitemap started to show up properly.

I am, however, a bit confused with this. On your screenshot front-end is showing up under its own top level domain and that’s what I get when I try to visit front end. But the sub-site (if you check “network admin -> sites” page) doesn’t seem to be set to use any top level domain but rather sub-domain of the main domain. Also, that initial error in browser console pointed the sitemap style to some “katrina2” sub-site – was the “katrina” site copied/cloned from “katrina2”?

As for the main issue – settings changes – yes, we need to wait for developers to provide a fix, I’m afraid. I can confirm they are looking into it and working on it.

Kind regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.