SmartCrawl only crawl home page

We are using a theme that is 100% custom and rarely use the WordPress default editor, except for blog posts. The issue is that the SEO Checkup report only contains data for the home page.

The other thing I noticed is that if the content on a page is in the page template, or if it's a custom field, the plugin does not make any recommendations. It seems to only scan content edited in the default WordPress editor.

The only way I have found to see individual recommendations is to actually go to each page in the Admin one by one.

• forthgear

If you look at the report generated by Smartcrawl vs the report generated by a 3rd party, you'll see that smartcrawl is only giving a report on the homepage.

On the 3rd party report scroll down and look at pages 9 Through 18. On Page 12 you will see that the homepage matches up with your report....37 missing alt tags etc. But you are missing reports for the other 21 pages.

Please advise why you are generating a report for only the homepage and how we can get this resolved.

• Dimitris

Hello there forthgear,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

The issue is that the SEO Checkup report only contains data for the home page.

This is true and this is happening by design. Please let me know, if you'd wish to move this thread to Features&Feedback section of our support forums, so more members can upvote and of course our developers/growth team consider adding in plugin's roadmap.
    Meanwhile, on page analysis is what you can use to inspect each page.

The other thing I noticed is that if the content on a page is in the page template, or if it's a custom field, the plugin does not make any recommendations. It seems to only scan content edited in the default WordPress editor.

I was actually able to see that. For example in above screenshots that you shared, I see recommendations about missing alt tags in images, images that's been added directly from /public_html/wp-content/themes/forth******/pages/home.php.

I also tested that in a website of mine, like this:

Please do let me know, if I miss something else here.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• forthgear

Everything you tested of course works for homepage because your plugin is only designed to work with the homepage. Try doing the same thing on a secondary page. I'm rather shocked that you designed the plugin to only give recommendations for the Homepage...How is this an SEO plugin? Sorry to come across as a jerk but I hate "this is how it was designed" responses.

This is not a feature that should be Upvoted this is a feature that should flat out be built into the plugin. Sometimes I forget we actually Pay for these plugins and these are not all free. Yet we are treated as "free customers" at times.

All you have to do is take what you did for the homepage and push it over to all secondary pages and custom post types. You are using a 3rd party tool to scan these anyways you are just choosing to only scan the homepage for the report.

Using on page analysis is great if you have a small website, we have websites with hundreds of pages which makes in page analysis a pain in the butt to even start to use. In page analysis will not work if the page is a custom page template. But I guess this is working as designed as well.

• Dimitris

Hello there forthgear,

hope you're doing good today and I'm really sorry for the frustration here!

I really don't have the knowledge, why this was initially designed like this, I've already asked our SmartCrawl devs, if there's any plan to extend SEO Checkup for the rest of the pages.

For checking specific pages/URLs, you can also use our WP Checkup page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-checkup/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• forthgear

So...why should we have to use your wp-checkup tool to scan individual pages... The in page analysis does not work with custom page templates. so the only way to get actual SEO recommendations is to use your wp-checkup tool and do that 1 by 1?

I'm sorry but I still do not see how this is a "suggested feature" that needs to be voted upon.You already have the technology but have chosen to not include it in yo ur plugin?

Is there any way to get in touch with the developers themselves? As I see this as being a bug not a feature.

• Dimitris

Hello forthgear,

hope you're doing good and please excuse my late response here.

So...why should we have to use your wp-checkup tool to scan individual pages... The in page analysis does not work with custom page templates.

I was able to replicate this in my end. Hardcoding content in page template, isn't crawlable by in-page analysis tool. I've already contacted plugin's lead developer on this, will keep you posted as soon as there's some valuable insights.

I'm sorry but I still do not see how this is a "suggested feature" that needs to be voted upon.You already have the technology but have chosen to not include it in yo ur plugin?

As mentioned before, this is by design and can't really provide any further information about it.
    I did make a question about it though, just in case there's already included to our future plans.

Is there any way to get in touch with the developers themselves? As I see this as being a bug not a feature.

There's no way to direct contact developers, we are doing this for you, as their workload is pretty intense and they can't really involved in support requests directly, hope you understand! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello forthgear,

just got some feedback from our lead developer that I want to share.

While we can analyze custom content too, it doesn't make much sense to do so, as we're showing the analysis of content in the wp-admin area, which is not where post editor can make their edits to the hardcoded page template. This is the reason, why analysis isn't working with stuff outside of the content.
    Despite that, you can force content to be part of the analysis, by using the following class as wrapper:
    <div class="wds-frontend-content-check">my custom template content here</div>

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• forthgear

Dimitris,

Wordpress isn't just used by people who don't know how to code...For instance, the plugin does not work with custom fields at all...so if we build custom fields, or use Advanced Custom Fields, your plugin does not support it...If you are trying to compete with Yoast these are things you must have support for.

I believe smartcrawl to be the better plugin long term and I'm attempting to help you along the way. We are a full fledged integrated marketing company and as it stands, from an SEO standpoint, I would be hard pressed to recommend smartcrawl to any firm as a full solution. Your plugin is so close to being useable. Will it work for someone who knows nothing about SEO...maybe, but without a report that shows what's going on in your entire site, it's tough. We do SEO for a living and use a LOT of tools out there which is the only reason i'm passionate about helping you guys on your way. You have something here if you'd only improve it. It's the little things that will set you apart.

As for the wrapper, are you referring to the admin back-end? or Wrapping on the front-end. Is this going to be picked up by the in-page-analysis?