[SmartCrawl Pro] Basel and Woodmart premium Themes Conflict with Smart Crawl

Dear Sir/Madame

We are facing problems with Basel and Woodmart Premium themes with smart crawl.

In this case we lose page settings if we update any page while we have Smart Crawl activated.
This started happening since the update.

For example if in one page we disable Page Title and we make it 2 columns (from theme page settings on the bottom) and we save it saves them. If then we update the page for any reason it looses all settings.

Moreover it cannot keep SEO settings (meta). It removes and replaces them with random ones.

I have granted you access to 2 staging environments (there are more with the same issue as we use these 2 themes a lot) of the websites so that you can test.
https://staging-natali.kinsta.com/
http://staging-porfiris.kinsta.com/

Thank you.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Vrisko Digital

I hope you're well today and thank you for your post!

I see that my colleague already responded to your other thread about similar issue (with other theme) here and asked you to create this separate ticket. I'll be testing the case using the specified themes but meanwhile I'd like to ask you for two things:

1. Please make sure that support access to both staging sites is kept active as it's time valid and may expire automatically; I may (and most likely will) have to check things there to be able to test on as much similar setup as yours

2. Could you please enable WordPress debugging on these sites and share its output with me? To do so:

- add following lines to the "wp-config.php" files of these sites (above "/* That's all, stop editing! */")

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    deifne('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

- do some "testing changes" on the site to trigger the issue again a couple of times
    - look into "/wp-content" folder for each of the sites and if there's a "debug.log' file created, please download it, rename to "debug.txt" and attach to your response here

- also, if there's an "error_log" file in a root folders of these sites' installs, share it with me as well.

Note: in case you weren't able to attach these files here (they might be too big) then please zip-compress them, upload to some file storage/sharing platform and share a download link with me here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko Digital,

Errors in there mostly suggest some outdated WooCommerce templates but it shouldn't affect the functionality in the backend.

I was doing some tests on your staging sites but I'm afraid that I don't still see the issue.
    I didn't see the 2 column option on either of those sites so I'm not sure if I'm missing something?

I did disable title and updated the page later on but it didn't affect that option or meta settings.

Could you provide us with step by step instructions on how to replicate the issue, and also include some screenshots so we can make sure that we're not missing anything while testing from our end?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Hello Predrag

You can take a look at the problem at staging of porfiris (http://staging-porfiris.kinsta.com/). You are free to play over there as it is a test environment created for you to be able to test

I am print screening an issue lets say with the homepage (its the same in other pages and in other websites)

We want for example to remove page title from home page. So in the page editor we select selecting_option_page_main_editor_porfiris.jpg

When we update we get
    before_update_page_main_porfiris.jpg

Now, lets say we want to go and change some text in the same page. An we hit update again:
    We get this in the front end
    after_update_page_main_porfiris.jpg

And the back end loses all changes:
    changes_discarder_page_main_porfiris.jpg

The problem is that all theme changes (Page Setting (custom meta box from theme)) are discarded everytime you update.
    That affects meta too.

Lets say you have page tittle Homepage | Porfiris
    After the update, and by discarding changes, the page title changes to Homepage (plain).
    Same way it affects meta description.

Now for example in https://staging-natali.kinsta.com/ it also adds a widget bar column in the homepage.
    Generally in those 2 themes (by the same developer) it overrides page theme settings.
    The problem is that we use these 2 themes in most of our websites. So the problem is generic for us. It keeps breaking meta and page settings.

Please do update us with a solution as soon as possible, as we ran Google Campaigns for our websites and we cannot afford to have meta changing randomly every time we decide to update something.

Now can we go back and fix setting all the time.

Thank you.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko Digital,

Thanks a lot for the additional info, I can now see the issue on your site, but no matter what I can't replicate this on my site.
    I even tried exporting your SmartCrawl and theme settings, page content etc. to try and have as much similar installation but for me it still works fine.
    On your end it seems like that all the settings are not selected on page load and when you update your page it applies that and that's why it becomes saved like that.

Could you provide me with FTP access to your http://staging-porfiris.kinsta.com/ site as I would like to get our devs to help me out with this and investigate this further?
    Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:
    NOTE: Don't change selected topic in the dropdown, just leave it at "I have a different question".

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko,

Thanks for sending those in, while I was checking the site I was able to finally replicate the issue.
    It's not PHP version, I have been testing it previously on 7.2 as well, but I did notice one "silly" thing that I was missing so far which is the cause.

On your site, when you edit the page, after the content you have SmartCrawl field and then Page Settings, while on my installation it was other way around, Page Settings were above SmartCrawl field and that's why I was unable to replicate it.
    Now when I reverted them I can see the issue, and I have created a report for our devs to check it out and see what's going on there.

After moving those around on your home page it works now as well so that can be used as a temporary solution:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Good morning Predgrag,

That solved the problem with settings but that doesn't solve meta issue in Smart Crawl.

If we update meta (title, description) it keeps them. If we then re-update the page for any reason it discards them.

Can you please check this also?

Thank you

ps. Just deactivated all plugins in staging except Smart Crawl and the problem still occurs. So its not a plugin conflict - rather than a theme one.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko Digital,

It does seem like the errors are similar but I'm not sure if it's the same cause, devs will be checking them simultaneously to see if they are indeed related and if they can be resolved from our end.

As I mentioned in your other ticket, it's also suggested that you get in touch with theme devs so they can check it out from their end as well.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Goodmorning Predrag,

As expected the theme developers told me this:

Hi,

We are not aware of how this plugin works and we don’t know its code base. Anyway, plugin’s developers should check it first. If they will see that there is something in our theme’s code that breaks this function, we would be glad to help to fix that.

Kind Regards

Thank you

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Hello again Predrag,

I would like to ask to have an official answer from you guys till next week.
    I can understand that you are trying to develop this but its been quite a long time that we are facing problems with Smart Crawl and we are not seeing solutions to them.

Unfortunately we dont have the time to wait for your solution cause we have almost 100 live sites using your tool at the moment and if you dont give us a solution shortly we will have to abandon the tool, which is something we do not want - but we just cant afford to have clients complaining.

Please let us know asap.

We have 2 more issue to solve (one is from July!)
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/two-smartcrawl-meta-issues
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/smartcrawl-pro-smart-crawl-shortcodes-conflict

Thank you in advance

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko,

Were there any changes on your site since you started getting WSOD?
    Can you try adding below code inside your wp-config.php file just above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line and that should stop the issues with the current version until the final patch is ready.
    define('SMARTCRAWL_FORCE_REWRITE_TITLE', true);

Our devs are still working on this to provide the solution that will work for as many users as possible, we are testing it with multiple themes that were reported and doing proper tests and fixes for all of them is, unfortunately, taking a lot of time and is affecting the release time.
    I understand that this is frustrating but we're hoping to have the fixes ready soon.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Hello Predrag,

Could you please tell us which issues are resolved from your current version?

Just to know in most of our installation if we dont
    define('SMARTCRAWL_FORCE_REWRITE_TITLE', true);

We cannot resolve the conflicts between smart crawl and other plugins.
    In the new release we faced a major issue with smart crawl and wpml that blocked visual composer from editing.

Upon deactivating one or the other the problem is solved.
    Finally we solved by adding the above code, which from a temp solution we have turned it to a permanent one.

Could you please help us with this?

Thank you in advance

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Vrisko,

SmartCrawl 2.2.3 release included a lot of fixes, including the ones specific for page builders and some themes that were having issues.
    You can go to plugin page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/smartcrawl-wordpress-seo/ and click on the Changelog link to see all the changes that were included in specific version.

I have checked version 2.2.3 on my end (without the define) by running it beside Visual Composer and WPML on Basel theme but I didn't see any issues there.

Could you give us some more info about what exactly is the issue you're experiencing now and perhaps provide us with some steps we could follow on our end to see those as well?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Vrisko Digital
    • Flash Drive

Hello Predrag,

After a lot of testing these days we managed to isolate the issue on WPML newest, and after updating it we managed to solve it (they released a patch). Smart Crawl was ok this time.
    However because we had a lot of issues in the past we do use the define at least of the old installations.

I will test with some new ones to see if the problem is solved without using the define.

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.