[SmartCrawl Pro] Best settings of SmartCrawl

Hi.
Working on SEO using SmartCrawl, and unsure about a few things. I will list them here:

1) Meta Description
In the SEO checkup, it says: Make sure your meta description tag is under 160 characters. It is currently at 279.
But on the homepage, the descriptions is showing GREEN and all seems ok. Which one is correct?

2)I have been using the Meta Keywords function in the SmartCrawl settings on each page. I have read that Google is not considering these anymore, due to misuse, and using Meta keywords might actually damage SEO. What is the case?

3) Not that I am using News Keywords, but hasn't Google stopped supporting them. Maybe they should be removed as an option on the page settings?

4) Can you install a "Take me to the top(of search) button in SmartCrawl settings? :wink:

Regards,
Ralph :slight_smile:

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Ralph,

1) Meta Description
    In the SEO checkup, it says: Make sure your meta description tag is under 160 characters. It is currently at 279.
    But on the homepage, the descriptions is showing GREEN and all seems ok. Which one is correct?

The minimum recommended is 135 characters, and it can go up to a maximum of 300 characters. So, 279 is still under the limit, and it shouldn't be causing an issue.

2)I have been using the Meta Keywords function in the SmartCrawl settings on each page. I have read that Google is not considering these anymore, due to misuse, and using Meta keywords might actually damage SEO. What is the case?

Could you please point out any source where it states using meta keywords damages SEO? If I'm not wrong, there isn't enough research regarding this to point out it's affecting negatively with SEOs. Also, they could still be used in terms of contextual ad systems etc

This is more of a choice left for the members on how they want to optimize the pages, the plugin should allow you to add, or not add keywords out of the box, so it should work in your use case if you decide not to add keywords too. Search engines like Bing still do seem to use Meta keywords.

However, I do see what you have meant, I'm bringing this into our team's attention to see what further improvements could be done in the plugin side.

3) Not that I am using News Keywords, but hasn't Google stopped supporting them. Maybe they should be removed as an option on the page settings?

I'm bringing this into the team's attention regarding this so we could check further whether there are any other implementations regarding this, and remove if not needed. It shouldn't affect SEO if already added.

4) Can you install a "Take me to the top(of search) button in SmartCrawl settings?

I suppose you meant a button to scroll and reach the top of the page when clicked? or some other button feature?

Please explain further about it, and let us know what exactly does it help in terms of SEO so that we could have a better idea.

Thanks for your feedback. Please advise, if I missed anything. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Ralph
    • Flash Drive

Hi Nithin

Thanks for your replies.

Regarding bullet 1. My point is that on the page itself, Smar Crawl gives green "Ok" for up to 300 characters. But in the SEO Checkup report, it says it is too long. Just saying this is cinfusing. But I will leave my 279 characters as is for now :slight_smile:

The last bullet point, was just a bad joke about a magic button to put your site on the top of all search results :wink:

Ralph :slight_smile:

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Ralph,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

But in the SEO Checkup report, it says it is too long. Just saying this is cinfusing. But I will leave my 279 characters as is for now

Please do note that SEO Checkup scan results are for homepage only. I'm not able to replicate any such issue when tested in my system. Just to be sure, are you checking the same page in both cases?

If yes, and you still notice different results in the page, and SEO checkup scan, please do enable support access, so that I could give a closer look, and have a better idea about what exactly could be causing this.

The last bullet point, was just a bad joke about a magic button to put your site on the top of all search results

Okay. :joy:

Please let us know once you enable support access so that we could get this sorted. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.